We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

NJ
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Coming from NYC I wanted to maximize the amount of time we will be in Maui, so we took the red eye from JFK (leaving at 9:35pm) and arriving in Maui at 7:55 am. The first leg of the flight will be serviced by Jet Blue with Hawaiian taking over from Vegas to HNL then HNL to OGG. We decided ahead of time that we will check in one bag, so upon checking in with Jet Blue, we were pleasantly surprised that even though we booked with HA, Jet Blue's policy of first bag flies free applied to us.

The flight was uneventful, and the service from Jet Blue and HA were more than satisfactory.

We arrived in Maui on time early in the morning, and it felt like coming home. I was born and raised in the Philippines, and I knew there will be similarities, but I still was surprised. It felt like I was in my backyard. We picked up our rental car, and thinking we are able bodied young adults, we will go explore Maui (this is more me, since the boyfriend was reluctant to do this).

We went to 'Iao Valley, and arrived at the park at around 9:00 am. There were very few people in the park, and we were able to enjoy it in relative quiet. Pictures do not do this place justice. It is a different world up there, it is so lush and vividly green. Considering how easy it is to get here, I would definitely recommend going to this place.

Since the BF was cranky from lack of sleep, we decided to go straight to Honua Kai even though it is too early for check in and planned to just chill in West Maui. While driving to HK, it is crazy how beautiful this island is. I was mesmerized by the West Maui Mt, and being tourists we dropped by the scenic point and took plenty of pictures. We passed HK and had lunch at Honokawai Deli, and the portions are huge! I had chicken barbeque, BF had tonkatsu but we both preferred the barbeque. After that we went to HK and got the parking pass, 12 bucks a day, but they do have underground parking which makes it convenient to bring stuff from the car to our unit. Check in was not until 3, so we decided to look for Whaler's Village. "Look" was definitely the operational term in that we looked but were unable to get there. Somehow the signage of the beachpath to Whaler's terminates at the Sheraton and functioning on no sleep we were unable to get our bearings and we just returned to HK.

After checking in, I understand why people are in love with HK. I understand that we will spend most of our time oustide, but to us having a beautiful unit is part of being on vacation. It is definitely modern and clean, with beautiful appliances. We have a view of the West Maui Mountain, and it is glorious. No smell noticed as well!

We decided to grab dinner at Duke's since we were both too lazy to cook or go anywhere else. We had the MacNut Wontons, and the BF loved it. Personally it reminds me of the rangoon from Chinese restos in NYC. We both had fish dishes, and we were satisfied at the end of the meal. No hula pie, yet.

We then walked around the beach, and the most awkward and unromantic proposal happened in the beach, and we are now engaged. We went back to the unit, and decided to turn in early since I insist on seeing the sunrise at Haleakala on my birthday.

Next... Haleakala (We are alive!!!)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Oh my goodness!!! Congratulations...I don't think a proposal on the beach on Maui is boring or unromantic....You both probably needed sleep...but wonderful! So happy for you! What a way to start your trip! I can't wait to hear more!

Next to water
Level Contributor
298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Wow that was the most incredible itinerary for a day one "off the flight" day I've ever seen! Get some sleep you silly lovebirds!!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Oh how very exciting! Congratulations. Awkward will lead to many fun stories for your future "Blabberbrains!" (Please don't take that as an insult!).

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Awwwww.......totally sweet! I will admit that I kind of like awkward cause if you have a sense of humor, your marriage will survive anything! Congrats on your engagement! I am loving your trip report so far.......and thanks for thinking of us! Deb

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

No such thing as an awkward proposal if "yes" was the answer! Congrats!

East Northport, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

That sounds like a wonderful first day! We went to Iao Valley after the airport and stayed at HK too! Congratulations on your engagement!

NJ
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Thanks guys!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

How sweet of you to think of us! And what a super start to your first Maui trip....there WILL be more, you know! Can't wait to read more as you have time to post, but enjoy your time here first, okay?

I'm so glad you loved I'ao. It is indeed a wonderful and historical place.

P.S. Whoops, you are already back home!

Edited: 10 September 2013, 17:36
Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

Awww congratulations!!! I'm sure it was a lovely proposal, and awkward means for great stories. Glad you enjoyed your trip and looking forward to the rest of your reports!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 1 trip report (Aug 31, '13)

What an amazing first day on Maui! I remember reading your prior posts about possibly proposing...soooo glad you "took the plunge"!

Look forward to the rest of your posts!!! Congrats to you both!!!