We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

The fiancé hatedme for this, but not once did we sleep later than 8 am while were in Maui. SInce I figured we can sleep late back home all year! For our 3rd day (Labor Day!) we booked a bottom fishing trip with Maui Fun Charters from Maalea (this one is for the fiance, believe me I love fish, but I would rather buy them from Safeway, or better yet already deepfried!).

We left HK at about 6:00 am so we can get to Maalea by 7:00 since our boat leaves at 7:30.The harbor has two prongs, and parking was a lot easier to find on the right prong. I was a bit surprised that there were plenty of people at Maalea that early, I guess plenty of people share my philosophy.

I have been on a fishing trip here in NYC/NJ before and the boat had about 150 people in it, so I was VERY pleasantly surprised that for our trip, there were only 6 people on the boat plus 2 crew members. Reminder to everyone, please read the terms/instructions of excursions you have booked prior to leaving. I fully expected that drinks and breakfast were included for our trip (it wasn't!), so I didn't even bother bringing an extra water bottle and food for the 4 hour fishing trip. I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed fishing on Maui, but what made this excursion extraordinary were the staff of Maui Fun Charters. Capt Kelly and Alex kept a very clean boat. They were telling us that they almost named the boat “Oh-Sea-Dee”, and that would have been such an apt name. They were very knowledgeable and helpful, assisting us and allowing us to enjoy our time fishing. The view of Maui that you get once you’re on the water is just breathtaking, I am starting to run out of adjectives people! We were able to catch plenty of blue striped snapper that we were able to take home for dinner (We did not spend 120 dollars for dinner that night!)

Once we returned to Honua Kai, we ventured into to the Times Grocery across the street to do some more shopping. BTW, the refrigerators in the HK property have water filters, so we saved a lot of money from not buying gallons of water, we just bought reusable water bottles and filled them up with ice and water from the unit. I made sure that to grab the Roselani Icecream (Thanks TA!!), Maui Chips (Onion flavor, new addiction! I literally brought a huge bag on the plane) and some spices for the fish we caught. For some reason catching all that fish made us want to snorkel, and since there was a sale on snorkeling gear we grabbed the masks and decided to play in the water after lunch. Knowing beforehand that Hawaii is a bit pricey, I did not faint when I saw our total at checkout.

I know that everybody recommends trying on the masks before buying, and I certainly agree with you guys on that. We were very lucky in that the masks we got fit. At first we grabbed the ones that said "keiki", but I realized "keiki" means kids, so we grabbed a different set (who knew my vocabulary is not limited to aloha and mahalo) and we were able to snorkel without any difficulties. I had a bit of trepidation at first since I have never really snorkelled before eventhough I am a good swimmer. We snorkeled in the afternoon which I know weren't the best conditions , but as you probably know by now, I specialize in knowing good advice but ignoring said good advice anyway. I was pleasantly shocked that despite some wind (it wasn't crazy windy during our time there), the visibility was great. I was very proud of myself since it only took me 5 minutes, and I only swallowed 1/2 a gallong of sea water before it clicked in my head that the snorkel is not a straw, and that breathing in through your nose is futile.

Being an informed tourist (I've seen pictures and read trip reports), I had expectations with regards to the snorkeling. But man, I was blown away by how clear the water is, and how much you can see under the water.

After snorkeling we came back to the unit and the fiance cooked (overcooked!) the fish. We ate our cheapest (if you don't count the money we paid for the fishing trip) dinner at the Lanai, and despite trying to find it I did not notice the smell that seems to be a common complaint against HK. As usual, we turned in before 9 pm since we had another busy day ahead.

Next… Holy mother of maui, the road to Hana (We are still alive!)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

Ah yes! One of the biggest problem with writing TR's for Maui..."running out of adjectives"!! Great day, holding my breathe for the Hana trip.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

I love your reports! Your attitude and descriptions are fabulous! And I agree...even great pictures of snorkeling do not do the actually snorkeling justice. It is an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing and can't wait for the next one. Hope you decide to do more than one report today too! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

I love starting my day with a good giggle! And your trip reports are just what I need!

Love the "new" name for the boat! I must remember that for my sister!

I am glad you survived the fishing trip, given that you weren't prepared with a good breakfast!

The part I liked best about your report for this day....your first two words, "the fiancee"!! Still so happy for you both!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

My off the shelf snorkel gear fits fine and has been used for several years. Based on warnings here to make sure it fits, I figure I must have a very average face :) Great reports!

New England
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

Oh I can't wait for the next report.

California
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

I don't often read anything on the Maui forum, but when I saw the name "blabberbrain", I had to check it out, and I'm so glad I did! I'm loving your TR's--so entertaining and well written! Looking forward to reading the rest!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,299 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

You have such an entertaining writing style!

Nice that you're hooked on snorkeling now. You might wish to look into the the Caribbean, it's so much easier to get to from NJ than from CA! We love St. Croix.

Looking forward to reading more!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,060 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

Love it! Who knew you'd end up being the 'voice of reason' when you first started posting here, huh? Can't wait for the Hana day report, I have kleenex close by for the tears.......

san diego
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

I'm enjoying reading your reports. Thanks for posting. This is helping my withdrawals.

My husband also bought that snorkel gear from that same store, and he was happier with it than the mask he rented at snorkel bob's. He snorkeled everyday, and it never leaked once.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 3 Trip Report (Sep 2, 2013)

Another read finding me laughing and shaking my head. It's amazing all the wonderful advise you have for new folks.lol