We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day 6

I am definitely in the minority here, but I was happy that we did a lot of activities in our limited amount of days in Maui. It may be that we have a different mentality, but we enjoyed having things to do and look forward to. However, I am not averse to coming back there next time and just taking it slow. I’m planning on approaching that vacation differently.

As I type this, I remember that slight tug I felt in my heart when I woke up at 7:30 am knowing that it was my last full day in Maui. We were supposed to cook breakfast but we decided against it and decided to grab breakfast at Duke’s instead. I went back to my roots and ordered eggs with rice and sriracha, and the fiancé absolutely loved his breakfast burrito. The fiancé really wanted to go jet skiing so we looked for the damned red umbrella and went jet skiing. It was a fun activity, and we decided to splurge and pay the extra $30.00 and to get pictures taken by someone in the barge. I cannot say enough things about how beautiful the water is, and nothing beats the experience of jet skiing on crystal blue water with Maui behind you and Molokai and Lanai in front of you. Although, I would have probably only done 30 minutes since going around in circles can get tiring after you have done it more than 10 times.

After Jetskiing, we returned back to Honua Kai and ate lunch there and relaxed by the pool. We then decided to go to Lahaina and grab dinner there as well. Once we got to Lahaina, we opted to pay for parking rather than stress out and look for a parking lot. We started at the end closer to Kaanapali, and we were surprised by how big Lahaina is. I was expecting one block of stores, but it was more than a couple of blocks, with plenty of stores with interesting things. We meandered and went in and out of the stores looking for a few more gifts. I was determined to have shave ice, so we went to Ululani’s, I had lychee, pineapple and mango with mochi, and it was delicious. After browsing through most of the stores we went to Koa’s for dinner, the fiancé had a burger while I had seafood pesto pasta. The views made the experience better since the food was just OK. We then went home to HK so that I can finally taste a freaking Hula Pie from Duke’s. It was our last full day, and mother of Maui be damned, I'm having shaved ice and Hula Pie before I board the airplane.

When we got back we started the dreaded task of packing since we decided to pack early so that we can enjoy the water one last time before leaving on Friday. I was worried that we may need another luggage, but I was happily surprised that despite having tons of souvenirs, everything still managed to fit in our luggage.

After packing we went down to Duke’s for a drink and a slice of hula pie to cap off our vacation in Maui. The hula pie is gigantic, and we weren’t even able to finish the slice. In my opinion the best 7 bucks I spent in Maui. We then moved to the hot tub to enjoy the night sky and stare off into space wishing we could spend one more week in Maui.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 6

Thanks again bb for sharing your reports! It's obvious from your reports that you thrived on being active ... good for you for doing it 'your way'. Some of our vacations are like that, others are more laid back. It's important to do what feels right :) What great memories you'll have of this trip! Best wishes on your wedding!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 6

We escape to Hawaii to relax from work, and happily beach flop! But whatever makes your vacation the best ever.....makes for fun reading for us! And you left happy........perfect! I loved your attitude about parking. I will cruise the free spots, in both Pa'ia and Lahaina, but have no problem going for the easy pay lot, if it's later in the day and busy. Have a wonderful wedding and thanks for the reports! Deb

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 6

Thanks guys! :) The trip was enjoyable since I stocked up on some knowledge prior to getting there, and reminiscing the trip with you guys was fun as well!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 6

I think the first time to Maui is always filled with lots of activities and places to see. Ours was exactly like yours in that manner. When we came back the second time we slowed down some and enjoyed the Aloha and now it is all about relaxing, doing what you want when you want and just enjoying this beautiful island.

You didn't say when you were getting married but maybe the honeymoom will be in Maui or somewhere in the Hawaiian Islands. "Congratulations"

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 6

First trips are often busier trying to see everything because you don't know if you will be back. When you come back, it is often more laid back doing what you really want to do only. I find I can still be busy doing things now, but it is different because it is only what we feel like..not a list of "must dos" to try and see it all.

Thanks again for sharing!

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 6

Just a rough date, summer of 2015. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 6

Shave ice and Hula Pie...nice capper for your Maui trip!

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
535 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 6

Enjoyed hearing about your trip...and I will add hula pie to my must try list for December.

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 6

Sounds so nice! We loved all of our meals at Duke's when we stayed at Honua Kai. :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 6

Oh no---your trip is almost over??? NO!!!!!!!! We want more!

I'm so glad you had a varied, full visit. Yep, first, second, and third trips are often "busier". By #4 or so, some folks start to get their own home away from home going. Others have the wish to repeat things or try new things. It's all good.