We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

California
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Thought I would post my favorite spots thus far - as I love it when other TA do same.

I'm staying on West side so most are around there:

Ono Tacos - best fish tacos hands down. $3.50 for shrimp or ono...people

super nice, eat on a ledge overlooking street - fantastic! Don't drive too fast or you will

miss it. Open til 9pm. Right by ABC store. I could eat here every day and night.

Huli Huli chicken man. He was on my list before the plane took off. In the park just before

Lahaina (coming from West end). Signs on the road. Best bbq'd chicken ever! Served with sticky rice and canned corn (that part baffles me)...but the chicken is to die for. Only on Sat/Sun til they sell out...so go before 1:00. $8 for quarter + sides.

Ulelani's for shaved ice. Goes without saying. Also super nice, friendly employees. Get it with

the ice cream in the bottom.

The Bakery - in Lahaina, across hwy by Sugar Cane train. Go early for best selection. Amazing

donuts, sweet rolls, deserts and fresh bread. Felt like I was in Paris.

Sea House - banana, macadamia pancakes!

Best happy hour - Sea House. Drinks cold, not too sweet, or watered down, great selection of

pupus and you can beat the view.

What I would avoid: Dukes. Drinks warm, tasteless. Pupus: 3 out of 4 were not good. How can you screw up calamari or mac n cheese? Ambience sorely lacking. Felt a little like Club Med over there.

Also - not a fan of the Cinnamon Rolls in Kihei...not worth the calories and the weight in

pit of stomach (I only had a half), IMO. Go to The Bakery instead.

Fresh salads found pre-packed at Times (chicken Ceasar, asian chicken, etc) were all

delicious and HUGE for about $7. Great smoothies - try the Pina Colada!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Cinnamon rolls and a cup of coffee at Grandma's Coffee House in Keokea, upcountry. Mango creme brulee at Buzz's Wharf.

California
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Sorry - don't know why the text came out spaced so far apart!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

You're making me hungry!!

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Too many to list for us!!! With the exception of cheese burger in paradise we enjoy most meals during our visits. Must do's though are: Loco moco (for hubby) from Kihei Café, and fish tacos or fish and chips from Coconuts. We also loved 808 deli for fresh take out sandwiches. I also loved the pineapple salsa from Costco - so good!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Fresh mangos from the stand in Kihei, portuguese sausage (only made-in-Hawaii brands for me) cooked for breakfast at the condo, huli huli chicken and ribs from the parking lot at the Green Church, Maui or Kona coffee, fresh pineapple and apple bananas from a farmers market, and Maui potato chips. Hmmm, I notice that I've not included any restaurants! A standout for me is Star Noodle.

Happy hour has to be the condo lanai at sunset with Cruzan coconut rum & pineapple juice, a bowl of those Maui chips and some spicy poke from Times Market. Dang it, now I want poke for lunch.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Grandma's Coffee House for sure...carrot cake was amazing!!!

But the best food I ever think I've had...ever...was Thai by Pranee in Hana. The freshest of ingredients, fabulous taste, great atmisphere. I would drive that long and scary drive again just to eat there again. Please note that she is only there on certain days of the week and she closes at 4:30.

Also likes the fish tacos at Coconuts....and mac nut pancakes and pork rice at Kihei Cafe. Also loved the fried rice at The Gazebo....and overlooking the ocean....awesome.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Forgot to add stick donuts and long johns from Kamoda Bakery....and lava flow shaka pops in Hana.

Oh....and the best burger I have ever had.....the Kobe burger at Leiliani's (sp?) at Whalers Village. Great tasting meat, onions and cheese....don't know why it tasted so great, but it was delicious.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Okay....there is more....

I forgot about fresh papaya, pineapple, and apple bananas from outdoor roadside vendors. Also....Ululani's Shave Ice....Coconut candy (the sweetened baked kind that is homemade)...lilikoi cream cheese from the Farmer's Market on the West side....Fudge from the little fudge place in Lahaina....and fresh grilled pineapple from our condo's BBQ grill.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Wait....pina coladas and apple pie with mac nut ice cream, both from Warren and Annabelle's....banana bread on the way to Hana....and garlic noodles and fried saimin from Star Noodle.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite foods thus far - what are yours?

Beef Polynesian appetizer at Mama's, Kalua pork nachos at Leilani's, Fish tacos...still need to finish going places to determine my favorite, Mama's ribs on the lanai....and because I had to see what Deb's obsession was...Honolulu Cookies...which in fact I am eating some now that we brought back from our last trip!