We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PipiqI Trail How difficult?

New England
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
PipiqI Trail How difficult?

I think we might drive to Hana and and then to the trail, do the hike and stop for other stops on the way back.

I've read the trail takes 2.5- 3hours. Is that correct? Do I need hiking boots or just a shoe with a good traction? But my biggest concern is the difficulty? Will we need hiking poles?

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

It's considered moderate. I've hiked many other trails that were rated moderate that were harder. I've always walked/hiked the trail in my walking shoes(gym shoes) hiking shoes/boots not needed.

I've never used my poles on this trail but might take them this trip. There are only a couple of places that they will be handy, crossing the stream is one. I have taken aqua shoes to use to wade through the stream.

Yes time is correct.

Pipiwai Trail

Edited: 13 September 2013, 01:35
Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,042 Reviews
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

I agree this trail is not that difficult. The one thing is you are basically going up the whole way to the falls, but the good thing is you go down the whole way back. My family of 4 all wore our Keen sandals for this hike and were comfortable. Made it easy to cross the streams. We just walked right through the water. Do not try to balance on the rocks to cross- that is when people get hurt.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

The most obvious difficulty I've seen on the Pipiwai Trail is heat. Most arrive after the temps have come up. Just last month, we gave a middle aged woman (and family) a lot of encouragement. She was really struggling with the heat, but we ran into them just before the bamboo. Way cooler (in so many ways) from the bamboo on.

Agree on the shoes: keens, running shoes, tennies, etc, all work fine and as tb4 said, just go right through the stream. There really is no reason not to unless you think you're spending the night in them or plan on wearing them for some reason. they're going to be muddy, no matter what. Most change back in to their slipah-flops.

I've used trekking poles for a long time, but can't imagine packing trekking poles to Hawaii unless I had serious balance issues or some other unusual need.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 02:47
Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,042 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

Agree with all that has been said here re difficulty. I would rate it as easy-moderate. I wouldn't have even thought that it's all uphill on the way to the falls because it's so gradual that you only notice it in a few places.

Also agree with Patrick re poles ... not needed here (although I've found them useful on more difficult trails on Maui.)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New England
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

Good sounds like I can handle this. I am still wondering if we should take two days to do TRH? We are there for 10 days. Staying near Lahaina. I am thinking the first day we drive straight to the trail then take as many stops on the way down as we want. If we feel we want to go back on another day we will because I also like the idea of just going up and taking our time. indecisive .

Thanks sooo much for the answers .

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

If you think it will take you 2 days to explore the Hana area, think about spending a night there. Two trips down there might be a bit much. It wouldn't be for me but for most visitors it would!!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
7. Re: PipiqI Trail How difficult?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19