We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Happy Hours and Mai Tai

I know this may be a "loaded question" because of every individual's personal preferences BUT... that is what we all love about TA, right?

So here goes...Where is the best Happy Hour for pupus and who serves the best Mai Tai?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Cindy

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

For pupus.. Three's Bar and Grill

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,741 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

5 Palms, and an amazing view thrown in too. Right on Keawakapu Beach. Pupus are half price, including the sushi menu. Mai tais were $5.00, but that was a year ago now. Of course, I am biased about this place because I just had to walk across the parking lot to get there!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Lots of drinks pass for a Mai Tai in Maui. Are you looking for the Genuine article or one of the many fruity drinks that go by that moniker? The real Trader Vic's Mai Tai has only fresh lime juice, rum, orange Curacao, orgeat syrup and simple syrup. I can't honestly say that I've had a killer Trader Vic's Mai Tai in Maui (other than those we made in the condo).

For the fruity variety, the best I've ever had was at Capiche in Wailea. It wasn't a Mai Tai, but it was darned good.

For Pupus, try The Sea House, Barefoot Bar, and Lelani's on Tuesdays for tacos.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

MonkeyPod's mai tai gives homage to Trader Vic's original. It leaves out the rock candy sugar syrup and adds a delicious honey/lilikoi foam on top. A thin half round of pineapple curves around the rim of the glass. I think this is the best mai tai I've tried, though Pacific'O and Mama's Fish House make a pretty good mai tai too.

I used to love a good, not too sweet mai tai. Now, truth is, somehow they all taste too sweet to me. I guess that's what I get for clean living! Darn!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

barefootnAR--menu looks great there, I did not know about the restaurant..thank you

JOan123--another restaurant I did not know about, we haven't spent any time in the Kihei area.,,guess we will need to change that this year. Thank you and hope your hubby is better now,

rscotty and TeriS--I have never had a Trader Vic style mai tai, just the fruity kind you find in various restaurants on the Big Island, but I really can't drink the sweet ones for long, so will try Monkeypod or maybe make them at the condo..do you have a special recipe with amounts of each liquid you would care to share?

Thanks to all!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Assuming the OP (Cindy S, that's you ;) is staying on S Maui?

""Mama's Fish House make a pretty good mai tai too ""

We aren't Mama's bashes. We like Mamas. There are many things Hawaiian and good about it, but the Mai Tais at $18 a pop, while really good are ridiculously priced.

Best Mai Tai is at Ka'anpali Shores, made by the best bartender on Maui. Might seem tough, but she's a gem.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 01:59
Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Hi Patrick..1953 is a very good year..by the way ;-)

No we are staying in Honokawai..never been to Kihei or south side much..haven't been to Maui since 2003..that is why all the questions but I do have a surprise overnight and last meal at Mama's for our last night becuz my mama's 80th and DH's 55th birthday is the celebratory reason for this trip. .last night splurge, ya know? Good to hear they do a good mai tai..just need to save a little more for those $18 drinks tho, huh? Thanks for your help

By the way..name of bartender you recommended at Kaanapali Shores?

Edited: 14 September 2013, 04:48
Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

No we are staying in Honokawai..never been to Kihei or south side much..haven't been to Maui since 2003..that is why all the questions but I do have a surprise overnight and last meal at Mama's for our last night becuz my mama's 80th and DH's 55th birthday is the celebratory reason for this trip. .last night splurge, ya know? Good to hear they do a good mai tai..just need to save a little more for those $18 drinks tho, huh? Thanks for your help

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Edited: 14 September 2013, 04:53
Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Happy Hours and Mai Tai

Darn phones. And tablets..sorry for petes and repeats