We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

A couple of more fabulous days in Maui. Yesterday my husband played the Royal Ka'anapalli course, home of the Ka'anapalli Champions Skins Game. Just imagining some of the greats: Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson & Arnold Palmer walking the same greens makes the course all that more special, He was paired with a couple from the Dallas area which made "Texas" talk fun.

This morning we set the alarm for 6 AM to make it to the Ko'ie'ie Fishpond Cultural Tour in Kihei.

Thanks to Msfuzz and Cornman, this adventure turned out to be just the type of thing we look for in our travels. The program runs Monday, Wednesday, & Friday mornings from 8 AM-9:30 AM.

You must make reservations on-line and are asked to make a $40 donation per person to this non-profit organization. www.mauifishpond.com, 1-808-359-1172, 726 S. Kihei Rd., Kihei.

Vene was the canoe leader (captain?) on my husband's canoe (two went out), and all aboard were instructed in the Hawaiian manner of paddling. Vene talked about the importance of the fishponds to the ancient Hawaiian culture and the current effort in revitalizing them. Once out on open water he led the six on board in singing Hawaiian songs/chants as they paddled the Pacific! I took pictures from shore, and waited for their return on the grounds of NOAA's Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary at a shaded picnic table spot overlooking the water.

This would be a great family activity with tweens & teenagers.

Next, we decided to drive to Ulua Beach for snorkeling. Again, Msfuzz, has recommended Ulua for those needing an easy entry into the water. I loved Ulua! It was the easiest beach I have tried on Maui and I had no trouble getting in and out of the water. The water was cloudy and visibility was not great, so the snorkeling was not good. We stayed very close to shore, and eventually stopped trying to snorkel and just enjoyed being in the water. We enjoyed Ulua so much that we are talking about extending our two-week trip next September to three weeks with one of them being near Ulua beach. If anyone has recommendations for a one-bedroom air-conditioned condo near Ulua, your suggestions would be much appreciated!

For lunch, we have been wanting to try Eskimo Candy for fish and we were not disappointed!

Even though it is in an out-of-the-way location, people are finding Eskimo's and there was a line out the door by the time we left. It is casual enough to handle people coming from the beach in damp suits with cover-ups! Eskimo Candy, 2665 Wai Wai Place, Kihei, 808-879-5686.

I'm calling it a day with no cooking! Total Raisin Bran for breakfast and Hula Pie for dinner!

Scooter

Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Open Eye Tours & Photos
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Hana Tours of Maui
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Maui Nei Native Expeditions
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,499 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

How can you not enjoy that menu!! Sounds like you have had another wonderful couple of days on Maui.

I like the way you are thinking too, three weeks on Maui next year would be great. And then splitting the stay is easy to handle.

Hope you are able to get in some more great snorkeling soon.

Level Contributor
36,644 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Ulua Beach sounds really nice! We have added to our Maui Beaches list for our next visit. Thank you for the report back. :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,697 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Sounds like a great day. Glad you did the canoe trip and also got down south. Have a wonderful Saturday!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Love the Ko'ie'ie Fishpond canoe venture. Thank you for sharing that great experience with us.

Hey, if peacenik Dave is around, I see on their website they need a stone mason :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,903 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

http://mauifishpond.com

I am definitely saving this link. Very cool! Dave, that job opening sounds wonderful for you, says you need to be a good communicator and swimmer, as well as culturally sensitive. Too bad it's only 12 hours a week! You might need another source if income to make the move.

Scooter - I can handle paddling a kayak in calm water. Do you think this middle aged woman could manage to do the canoe trip? Thanks again for your great reports!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

For many years I thought I was swimming and snorkeling at Ulua Beach. Come to find out, I turned right rather than left from the parking lot. Apparently that is Mokapu beach instead.

Duh!

Not too many places with A/C in So. Maui. Your best bet will be Maui Kamaole, which is at the far south end of Kihei and just a couple minutes drive to Ulua (...and Mokapu!) Lovely complex, with spacious grounds and newer-than-most condo units.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Teri, I didn't actually get into the canoe. I accompanied my husband and took pictures from shore. With two total knee replacements, getting in and out of a canoe would not be possible for me! Two canoes went out with five participants and one leader in each canoe. My husband said that the paddling was not difficult and since it was early in the morning, it was extremely calm; however they did ride a wave a bit out! The leaders of each canoe led in a canoe race and for that they had to scramble. Since you paddle a kayak, I think you you would be fine!

FYI - Vene and the other canoe leader star in "Ulalena" which is showing in Lahania. They are very nice young men, who love their native island and heritage. We hope to see the show to see them this next week.

Barbara5353, Thanks for the suggestion of Maui Kamaole. We would like to go to Ulua Beach again and we will check it out!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

I am so happy to hear all went well for you SaScooter!!

Teri, I've paddled a canoe, you surely could.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,903 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Thanks so much SAScooter and msfuzz, for your confidence. I guess, I could do it, I just wondered if I could keep up, or if the rest of the crew would think I wasn't pulling my weight! This activity definitely goes on my list of possibilities. Monday, Wednesday and Fridays 8:00-9:30AM.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 Days in Maui Trip Report Part 6

Teri.......I kayaked for the first time this summer in freezing cold lake waters that run off a glacier. I was scared that the kayak could dump me but the kids assured me that I would have to be trying to have the kayak dump us. They said that a canoe is more difficult to maneuver and paddle. You might enjoy Kelli's Kayaks as an excursion, on the water, to give a try. I am leaving it open, but think it would be fun to do their Sunset Kayak and it is reasonably priced. I am not interested in simply renting kayaks, for use on an ocean, without doing it once with a tour guide. The groups are small and I learned about it through another poster that had a great time.

We enjoyed kayaking so much that we hope to buy used kayaks over the winter for use all next summer and beyond . Both Joan and Jennifer also assured me that kayaking was an awesome sport that might be easier on me and more stable than canoeing. My fear had to do with falling into freezing Alaskan water and it was a false fear. Of course, we are very careful and prepared with excellent life vests! Feels awesome to conquer a fear at my age and find a new sport. Deb