We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-alcoholic luau or show

Kansas CIty, MO
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Non-alcoholic luau or show

Are there any good luaus or shows on Maui that do NOT serve alcohol? We like luaus, but some folks take advantage of the open bar and end up ruining the show for others.

How about Ulalena?

1. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 01:07
Edited: 16 September 2013, 01:07
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,397 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

I think you are worrying too much! I've never seen that at a luau. In fact, I never see drunken spring break action of that sort visiting Hawaii. The folks who run these shows really want them to appeal to the broadest groups possible. Don't worry about the watered down drinks!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

We've been to the major Luaus (some a couple of times) as well as the shows like Ulalena and Warren & Annabelle, and have never seen seen someone ruin the show for others by over doing it with the alcohol. (Can't necessarily say the same for the sunset / dinner cruises). If you want to see a Luau and are really that concerned about it, go for the Feast at Lele where you can sit at your own table. But definitely don't pass on a wonderful night of entertainment because of your concern.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

We have been to three different Luas in Maui and have never experienced any trouble do to liquor. Ulalena is a great show and so is Warren and Annebelle. My pick of the two shows would be Warren and Annebelle. I don't think you would have any trouble at either the Luas or the shows.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

I agree with VCSnowbird. I have gone to both the Old Lahaina Luau and Feast of Lele and have not experienced overdrinking there. My husband does not drink and I rarely, so I am sensitive to it as well. I think the suggestion of the Feast of Lele is a good one. It is nice to have your own table, and it is a different experience. I also did not enjoy my one sunset cruise I took because of people overdrinking. Not fun to be stuck on a boat with loud people that are mad they were cut off!

I would not think Ulalena would have any issue with that...it is at the theatre and food/drink is not served there.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

I don't drink for a reason.......lol!!! I can add that I especially like the system that Feast at Lele uses for differentiating between alcoholic drinks and their same non-alcoholic choices. The four of us realized that my husband and I had different colored straws from our daughter and her fiancé. It made it very easy to know there was an awareness and appreciation for the lifestyle choices some folks make, for very good reason. I was able to enjoy my lava flows, with a mini taste test to make sure.......irregardless.

Having been to OLL twice and FAL, I would echo the same experience as others. The luaus are much less likely to encounter the obnoxious over drinking, while the sunset cruises seem to be more of a problem. Let's just say they are not our travel style. Have fun! Deb

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

Jennifer, actually 'Ulalena does have food and beverages before and at intermission. But I've not ever heard of an annoyance factor resulting from that. It's where I first discovered the Lava Flow :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

Thanks Susan! Did not know that and it's weird it's not on their website. We are going at Christmas and you can do a dinner package at 3 area restaurants, but it says nothing about anything there. Thanks!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

At 'Ulalena it's more of a snack bar but alcoholic beverages were served when I attended several years ago. The "Whale Tales" science event takes place there in February, and they serve limited breakfast and lunch but no alcohol.

To the OP: In my experience, imbibers have been respectful at OLL and FAL as well as 'Ulalena. Can't speak as to the hotel luau or shows.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-alcoholic luau or show

We did the OLL this past August. The mixed drinks had very little to no alcohol. I guess if someone was drinking wine or beer they could get drunk.

We did not see anyone getting drunk or causing a problem.

I think the biggest issue at OLL is all the people who choose traditional ground seating and then realize half way thru the show how uncomfortable it is (especially if you are over 30).