We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Help

DC
12 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Help

What are the best car rentals companies on Maui? We are flying into OGG and are most likely going to use Discount Hawaii Car Rental but want to choose the better company if prices are comparable on their site. Also, any advice when it comes to insurance? I have read some reviews that say these companies will try to up-sell you and claim damage when the damages were already there. Any tips on how to avoid this, any companies better than others? Any and all feedback, experiences welcome. Much appreciated!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Help

They're all fine. Go with whomever gives you the best price. They will all try to upsell you. Just say no. Don't let them talk you into buying the tank of gas and returning empty, and refuse their insurance, assuming you've checked with your own company and credit cards and are covered.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Help

I choose buy price not company. I've used discount Hawaii car rentals 3 different times and used 3 different companies. Never once did anyone try to up sell me or try to talk me into extra insurance. It does happen, we've had some trip reports to that effect!! Anyway, I'm really good at saying NO, more than once if I have to.

You can avoid any hassles by walking around the car with an attendant, noting any damage before you leave with the car. Taking pictures would also help.

Usually those who write reviews about car rental companies have a bone to pick. Very rarely will you find a good review about a rental car company. That is the main reason TA won't allow these types of reviews.

DC
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Help

Thanks so much for the quick replies. PZP- could you go into a little more detail regarding the credit card you mentioned? I plan to check with my car insurance company to ensure I will be covered in Hawaii, but wasnt aware of anything with my credit cards. Thanks agin!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Help

We have an Amex card that gives us coverage on cars rented using it. Some other cards do the same; check with your company. The one time I banged up a rental car (on the East Coast) between the card and my insurance everything - even my deductible - was covered. If you don't have a rider for renter''s insurance on your policy I'd check the cost of adding it. It's not too much, as I recall, and you should be able to get "loss of use" coverage. Although, I have to say, loss of use never became an issue with my accident, and the car definitely spent some time in the shop.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Help

I would definitely second or third checking your own insurance and your credit card coverage. I have a travel Visa and get pretty good car coverage just in case. They don't cover everything and thankfully I haven't had to rely on it, but good to know. We were recently in Maui and booked through Costco's rentals which we ended up having a car with Budget. It was easy. They did mention the insurance options and the gas fill up option as well but we declined. She reiterated the benefit of accepting but we stayed firm and declined and it was fine. There are gas stations really close to the rental returns at the airport so it's easy enough to do it yourself and I'm sure you save.

No issues returning the rental with Budget. Really fast to drop it off, they did a quick walk around and that was it! The Budget shuttle guy was really friendly and it was a nice end to our trip

Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Help

We just back from Maui last month. We were happy with the pricing through Hawaii Discount on both Oahu and Maui. I will tell you that both were through Thrify and both cars were not cleaned before we picked them up. They weren't absolutely filthy but you could tell that no one had done anything to them.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Help

I used DHCR last trip in june through enterprise also used Enterprise in 2011 no issues no hard sell good clean cars.

I have also used Hawaiidrive-o another Hawaii broker on Oahu and Kauai Budget and Avis again ok no hard up sell I think i have been asked but once we say no they drop it.

We also use an Amex card with coverage and our insurance at home covers us too.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Help

Not sure about OGG but I screwed up in Las Vegas. I rented the cheapest car, then had to take a shuttle to the main car rental building, then another off-site to another building. There was a long line there. Always check to see that the rental office is on airport property IMO. I wasted 2-3 hours of my vacation to save a few bucks. I used Dollar in June on Maui and they were fine.

DC
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Help

Thanks all, this is incredibly helpful!

10. Re: Car Rental Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:20