We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maui cruise visit

gateshead
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
maui cruise visit

We are on the island in november. Our stay is for 1 day at lahaina and I was wondering what is the best trip to do.We have looked at haleakala national park and iao valley and maui tropical plantation.are these trips something we have to do with the ship or are there any recommended private companys offering the same.any help appreciated thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maui cruise visit

We usually advise renting a car and just driving yourself...check out http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/ they offer pier pick-up. Just be aware of what time you need to be back on the ship.

Also check the reviews of the ships excursions at www.cruisecritic.com . It's fun to sign into the roll call and "meet" fellow passengers before you leave.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maui cruise visit

You can cross the Tropical Plantation off of your list. Though we always stop there when on island, with only one day, it's just not something you NEED to see! Iao Valley, and Haleakela, on the other hand are something to strongly consider.

Take mamma's suggestion and rent a car!! It will come with a map of Maui to help you navigate to the sights you have chosen to visit.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maui cruise visit

The cruise ship tours are very expensive.

Prebook a rent a car. Which port or town will you be coming in to? We can recommend a car rental.

If you are taking shuttle boats into Lahaina Harbor then the closest car rental agency is Hertz. Prebook and get their free shuttle (about 5 minute drive) . The other car rental companies have to shuttle you to their lots which are around 15 minutes away.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maui cruise visit

Do go to either the summit of Haleakala or Iao Valley. The Tropical Plantation is IMHO just a tourist trap. Remember, the summit is at 10,000 feet. Altitude sickness can effect people in different ways.

gateshead
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maui cruise visit

Sounds fine to rent a car, but a few questions.Is it expensive to hire for the day? What are the roads like for feeling safe when driving? How long would I need to get around the iao valley and the national park? We harbour in lahaina from 7am to 6pm is that enough time? Dont want to get lost and miss the ship!!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: maui cruise visit

Aw! I must be a tourist as I love the Tropical Planatation. True it is a tourist attraction but there is something about that place that I just love. It seems so peaceful and looking across the pond onto the mountain is just beautiful.

Having said that if you are only there for one day I would definetly do Iao Valley and upcountry on Haleakala or drive all the way up to the top. Keeping in mind it takes quite awhile to drive all the way up to the top. But doable for time frame you have, and the Lavendar Farm is also in upcountry which is also nice. Driving in Maui is really quite simple and I don't think you will have any problems, Get a good map or google where you want to go to get directions. Tropical Planatation is quite close to Iao Valley.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maui cruise visit

Cheryl,

DW (especially!!) and I feel the same way about the Tropical Plantation!! But with under 12 hrs on island, I just wouldn't recommend it.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maui cruise visit

<<Is it expensive to hire for the day? >>

Depending on when you're there and type of vehicle, I think you can get a car for $50 - give or take, depending on whether you need insurance (which I'm assuming that you will.)

<<What are the roads like for feeling safe when driving?>>

The roads are excellent. Are you comfortable driving on the right side of the road?

<< How long would I need to get around the iao valley and the national park?>>h

Here's a map with the route from Lahaina to Haleakala Summit to Iao Valley and back to Lahaina. http://goo.gl/maps/40GjP It says 4 hours, but I would add an hour in case of any traffic delays or getting lost. Plus time to spend at Iao Valley and Haleakala, and a stop for lunch.

<< We harbour in lahaina from 7am to 6pm is that enough time?>>

The 6 p.m. departure makes it a bit of a challenge. You'd want to be back at the car rental place by 4 - you'll have a 10-15 minute shuttle ride between Lahaina and the rental agency, unless you rent from Hertz which is in Lahaina. To be back in Lahaina at 4 you'd need to leave Iao Valley around 3 - or if you go Haleakala last, then you'd need to leave there by about 2 p.m. at the latest.

<<Dont want to get lost and miss the ship!!!>>

Where is your next port? How difficult would it be to get there if you missed the ship?

Another option is to rent a car and explore closer to Lahaina ... lots of scenic areas in West Maui to explore!

9. Re: maui cruise visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:19