We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 5

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 5

Up early and got caught up on some things I needed to handle on the computer.

The desk in our room has a very thoughtful arrangement. It faces the large glass doors going out to the lanai so you have a beautiful view if you have to work. With that water to look at, not sure much work gets done though!

We again spent the morning on the beach, just enjoying the sun, sand and water.

Today's adventures started with a trip to Makawao. Our tour guide on the trip to Hana told us about a good Mexican restaurant there and a bakery. We needed a Mexican food fix so headed to Polli's for lunch. It's a small place and had a good crowd-some appeared to be locals as well as tourists. The chips and salsa were excellent. Both flour and corn chips and the salsa was chunky and more like pico de gallo. We both had a taco and enchilada combo. Mine was a soft veggie taco and chicken enchilada with verde sauce, DH had a crispy beef taco and cheese enchilada. I should have read the menu more carefully or asked, but the veggie taco was not veggies, but rather a soy meat substitute. I didn't care for it and didn't eat it. The chicken enchilada was very flavorful. DH thought his taco was just ok, too much chili powder used but the enchilada was good. Portions were fine, price was reasonable, and service was very good. After lunch we walked around the historic area. Unfortunately the bakery was closed for the month.

From there we headed to the Haleakala Crater. We knew we wouldn't do a sunrise or sunset and going during the day was perfect for us. The road up is winding and takes time to go just a few miles. We were afraid it would be cloudy at the summit and we wouldn't have good views but we climbed above the cloud cover and it was fantastic. It was fascinating to view the crater. The views down into the valley were also wonderful and not totally obscured by clouds.

Another plus of going during the day was that it wasn't very crowded. There were certainly other visitors, but it wasn't packed and traffic going up and coming down was manageable. This trip was well worth the effort and something we really enjoyed doing.

Dinner tonight was at Pita Paradise. Off to a bad start. We ordered drinks and then I asked about the fish-out of fish. I guess it wasn't a good day for fishing! Next option, vegetable gnocchi-out of gnocchi. This was at 6:30 and the restaurant wasn't full and they were out of items. They should have immediately indicated items not available when they gave us menus, vs. waiting until we ordered and received drinks and tried to order our meals. They don't have an extensive menu to begin with. I ended up with the veggie delight-a very small salad, a few veggies, two falafals and some hummus with pita bread. It was surprisingly good, but overpriced for what it was. DH had chicken parmesan and thought it was good. We shared their signature dessert of baklava cake-it was delicious! Other than the issue noted, service was very good.

This was another great day in a wonderful place. Maui is capturing our hearts! It's such a beautiful island and for the most part people we have encountered have been friendly.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 5

Sounds like a disappointing food day; glad you were able to shrug it off. Enjoying your reports. If I close my eyes I can visualize that lovely view coming down the slopes of Haleakala into Upcountry. Beautiful!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 5

Sounds like you had a wonderful day other than the food issue. I love Makawao, it is such a cute little town.

We have only been to Haleakala at sunrise which was awesome but I bet in the daylight it would certainly be a different look.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 5

I love going to Haleakala, no matter what time of day!! Thanks for the report, summersail.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 5

Maui is such a beautiful place from the beach to upcountry. We went during the day in July and liked it then as well. It just seems magical and it was nice to be there without crowds.

Thank you for continuing to share your trip with us!

5. Re: Trip Report Day 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:19