We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction Books Set in Maui

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fiction Books Set in Maui

I'm getting ready for my trip, and I need to update the Kindle! Anyone have any suggestions of good fiction books that take place in Maui? Mysteries, romances, thrillers, dramas, all suggestions are welcome. Sorry if this isn't the right kind of question for this forum. Just thought Maui experts might know. :) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I don't know any fiction book. But there are a number of good non fiction books about Hawaii's past and its history. Most people are not aware of the turmoil and rich as well as sad history of the discovery of the islands, their colonization, and annexation by the USA and the fall of the monarchy. These books read better than any fiction book could ever do.

We stared going to Maui about 20 years ago and became aware of these issues and I have read at least a dozen books on the islands. They have been very informative as well as have given me a much great appreciation for the people and their culture.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

Of course there is always Micheners "Hawaii", which really covers both Oahu and Maui but with a lot of emphasis on Maui (Lahaina in particular). If you haven't read it it really is a must - a bit slow at the start but a wonderful history of the Islands during the missionary days, on to the Whaling era in Lahaina and right up to the 2nd World War. I had read the book many years ago but reread it when we took a cruise to the Islands and I really enjoyed the second reading.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I can't help you with Maui specific books, but here's the link (it's under Top Questions on General Hawai‘i forum) for a list of books set in Hawai‘i.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k628498…

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I read one last year set in Lahaina it is a mystery my favorite genre with some romance thrown in. It was called

The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

Just a warning it features quilting but it was a good read I enjoyed it.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

Read James Patterson's "Swimsuit" back in May on Maui, which is where some real, some fictional places are set in the novel. Although Patterson co-authors about every gazillion-selling book with his moniker on 'em these days -- this one with Maxine Paetro -- I found the book an enjoyable read, particularly when the reading is done whilst somewhere near the shores of Maui.. ; )

Alo)(a, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

Joann Bassett has written some really fun books, chick-lit, set on Maui. When you search her on Amazon you will come up with lots of other related ideas too. I got a kick out of Haole Wood by Dee Detaris and there are several other series set on other islands to enjoy too.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chisago City...
Level Contributor
461 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

Here's anothr vote for The Aloha Quilt. I learned a lot about the history of and the preparations for creating the Hawaiian quilt design.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I liked the Joann Bassett books too. Good vacation reads...and cheap. if you look at those on amazon or the Kindle store, you'll see more like them. Some of The Lei crime series is set in Maui. (I think those are by Toby Neal...)

Mentioned in this post
Cafe O'Lei Kihei
Cafe O'Lei Kihei
2,923 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I vote for Michner's "Hawaii" and also Alan Brennert's "Molokai" and "Honolulu". All are great reads while you are in Maui....:)

Read all three last trip :)

Babs

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiction Books Set in Maui

I just ended up buying the latest in the Bassett and Neal series! Thanks to you robin...feeding my addiction!