We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

For those interested in some Upcountry sights, check out the Hui No'eau Art Center, located on Baldwin Avenue in between Paia and Makawao. It once was a family estate (the Baldwin family), called Kaluanui, and has been lovingly restored. It has a wonderful view out over the slopes down to Kahului and across to the West Maui Mountains. The hybrid Norfolk-Cook pines that flank the driveway are incredible, and are thought to be two of the oldest trees on the whole island. The Center also has rotating exhibits, and a very nice gift shop with some wonderful wood pieces. Here's a link to the Hui's site:

http://huinoeau.com/

In the same area stands Makawao Union Church. Connected to the Baldwins as well, the stone church is really beautiful. If you're ever on island and have the chance to attend a concert there, the acoustics are incredible. Here is a link to a wiki page about the church:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makawao_Union_Church

The Baldwin family has always been, and still is, a major force in Maui. They are also known for their philanthropy, much of which is quietly accomplished behind the scenes. Colin Cameron, a Baldwin descendant, was the developer of Kapalua, but few people know the extent of his gifts and sacrifices for the people and to preserve the history of Maui. Here's a link to a page about part of the family: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Alexander_Baldwin

Pi'iholo Ranch, still owned by Baldwin family members, continues to preserve history and protect resources here. When they began offering tourist activities, many felt they had "sold out". But as Peter Baldwin said, the ranch had to change and grow in order to survive. They run ziplines and horseback rides---but still ranch and are very involved in preserving Maui's ranching legacy for generations to come. Along with Sumner Erdman of Ulupalakua Ranch, this family is responsible-- IMO-- for the vast open pastures and ranchlands one still sees. They are truly stewards of Maui Nei.

Other sights in the Kula and Ulupalakua area include the winery and Holy Ghost Church.The history of the winery is well documented-because it was part of the Rose Ranch, which later became Ulupalakua Ranch (as it's known today). Holy Ghost Church was built in 1894, and carefully restored and preserved over the years. The first masses were celebrated in early 1895. It is built on land donated by the Von Tempsky family, another old Maui family which was heavily involved in ranching and the community. Here's a link to the Wiki page about the Kula area; scroll down and you'll find some other links and info, plus a link for the church: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kula,_Hawaii

Also, don't forget to take a few minutes to enjoy the beauty of St. John's Episcopal Church, in Keokea, the Sun Yat Sen park, the views from Rice Park, and so much more. The whole Upcountry area is a feast for the senses!

This link leads to a pretty decent article that includes a lot of the Upcountry sights:

…about.com/od/…upcountry_maui.htm

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

You should cut and past this into a travel article, sw and then link it to the Top Questions. Would be very useful!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,236 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Wonderful information! I hit "save" before even reading it because I knew it would be good. I am hoping to spend more time exploring upcountry. Thanks, SW!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

You posted this as we are driving to the airport and it could not have been more timely for our vacation! Thank you so much. Upcountry does confuse us to some degree and this is a wonderful help! Deb

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

And Holy Ghost Church makes Portuguese sweet bread every month to sell. I only learned that last night, thanks to Deb's blog with the picture of the Maui magazine. Sweet Bread is in the top 20 list, and they mentioned that the parishioners still make it the second Sunday of every month.]

It's number 8 on the Shaka list.

New England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

I haven't gotten any work done today, but I now have great notes for our upcountry drive.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Thank sw what an awesome thread!

Does anyone know if I can save this thread from my iPhone as that's all I will have the next week we are driving up to Long Island to see my husbands family as I type?

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Thank sw what an awesome thread!

Does anyone know if I can save this thread from my iPhone as that's all I will have the next week we are driving up to Long Island to see my husbands family as I type?

Sorry iPhone ugh...

Edited: 21 September 2013, 21:12
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Thanks for putting this together SW! I love Upcountry and just added a few more stops to my next trip!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Thank you.. saved, printed and in the to take folder. Glad we will have several days to explore.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: By request, SW's Upcountry Wander

Thanks SW, this is terrific. We always look forward to spending at least a day in the Upcountry when we're there. Definitely saving this article for the next trip. Agree with msfuzz - this should be up in the Top Questions or Trip Ideas section of the page.