We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with a 3yr old

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Things to do with a 3yr old

I am travelling to Maui on my first trip with my wife and 3yr old. We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa for 6nights in early Oct.

Could you please give me ideas on what would be good activities with my 3yr old.

We like to travel and watch as much as we can and love local shopping for artifacts/handicrafts etc. So any ideas around that would also help a lot.

Thanking in advance.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

Be sure and visit the Maui Ocean Center...your 3 yr old will love the sharks! Browse Lahaina and marvel at the Banyan Tree, take in a free hula show at Whaler's Village. Buy a shovel and bucket and hit the beaches,

Make sure the little one wears a hat and load up on the sunscreen...the sand is HOT on little feet so comfy slippahs are a must.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

My granddaughter was 3 when she first visited us on Maui. We took her to a luau and on a snorkel boat. Both she remembers quite well till this day and she's almost 12 now!!

We found coconuts on the side of the road and painted them with finger paint. Tried to catch sand crabs and then release them. Spent hours on the beach with sand toys. Like mamma say's hats and sunscreen are a must!!

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

Added a extra sunscreen and sand toys to the bag. Thanks for the tips. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

If you get Upcountry, there is the goat farm as well. She might enjoy an hour or two there.

Kam 3 Beach in Kihei would be a nice beach for her if you have a day to explore the south side. Lifeguards, amenities, and a playground. Parking too!

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

Thanks again for the suggestion on Kam 3 Beach. Am exploring to see if I can fit it into my itinerary.

New question: Which Luau do you recommend with a 3yr old? Please do let me know. Currently I am leaning towards Wailele Polynesian Luau. But do let me know if you suggest I head somewhere else instead.

Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

Honestly, I would not waste my money going to a luau with a 3 year old. It is a long evening, and I doubt she would enjoy it much. Having said that, maybe she would! You know your child best. But I'd put the 200.00 plus towards a nice dinner at another restaurant.

Are you prepared to have one of you get up and leave the performance if your child starts to get cranky? If not, save the money!

Or... check out getting a nanny so both of YOU can have an evening together.

http://www.thenannyconnection.com/

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

For a fun time at the beach, head south of town to Launiupoko Beach Park. Easy to spot...lots of people go there and the parking lot will be obvious from the road. There are showers and bathrooms. Plus, at high tide, there is a shallow lagoon for the kids to play in separated from the waves. We took our daughter there multiple times when she was young.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

The one we took our granddaughter to was the Drum's of the Pacific at the Hyatt. We all had a blast. She did the hula, drink virgin lava flows, loved the large choices of food and managed to stay awake the whole time. She was almost on sensory overload!! We did make sure she had a nice nap in the afternoon before we left for the luau.

9. Re: Things to do with a 3yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:20