We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddle boarding

New Jersey
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paddle boarding

I'll be in Maui next week and wanted to see if there were any recommendations where you can rent a paddle board for a day or do a paddle board tour. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Maui Tours and Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Unique Maui Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Roberts Hawaii
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddle boarding

Try http://808boards.com/our-rates/ or islandsurfboardrentals.com/maui/…rates

Not sure on tours. Early morning is best to take advantage of the lack of wind....Downwind is fun but upwind just sucks.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paddle boarding

Do you mean a lesson? If so, all the surf companies offer paddle board lessons now too. I'd strongly urge you to take one if you've never tried standup paddling.

Look at Maui Waveriders for lessons.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paddle boarding

Clark, thanks for asking and thanks to everyone for responding. I took my first SUP lesson this summer on a Minnesota lake and can't wait to try it in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paddle boarding

Oh! grandpart...be prepared! The ocean is A LOT different than a lake! Ya know, waves, currents...have fun.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paddle boarding

clark, where are you staying? West or South?

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paddle boarding

When we were in Kihei last winter, the water was as flat as a Minnesota lake. It looks like a good place to make the next step up. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/KiheiSUP

Edited: 23 September 2013, 04:19
Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,913 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paddle boarding

If in South Maui, check out the Mana Kai. They have kayaks and SUPs for rent. I am not sure if they offer lessons though. Mana Kai is right on the border with Wailea, south of the Kihei Boat Ramp. And if you are still there, enjoying Keawakapu Beach into the afternoon, you can always pop into 5 Palms for their happy hour!

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paddle boarding

I don't know where you're staying, but If you're up in Napili, Tikiman rents boards and gives lessons. Napili is a well protected bay and would likely be a good place to start.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paddle boarding

I like to be on the water as early. I rent from Maui Wave riders. They open at 7, their new building is across the street from Kalama park. Put in at the cove across the street, If the surfers are thick in the cove, that means don't SUP (if you are a beginner). When you take a break, walk across the street and enjoy breakfast at Kihei Cafe. then have another go at it.

See post 7 for another choice that's is right on the beach.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paddle boarding

We plan on using these guys for their kayak whale watch tour in January http://hawaiianpaddlesports.com/ They offer SUP lessons and tours as well.