We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

I'm looking into a trip to Maui next year. It'll be my first trip to Maui, but fourth to Hawaii. Where are the right areas/complexes to do a small vacation rental for two people? We've typically liked to stay at upscale hotels, but most of what we're seeing is in the $400-$500 range and we really don't spend that much time in the hotel while we're in Hawaii.

Being close to the beach is our only real requirement.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

There is a wide range of areas you can choose from. There is what is typically called the south from Makena, to Wailea and Kihei. Wailea tends to be the most expensive area with Kihei having more of a range of prices including more budget friendly. Then on the west side, there is every budget as well. This area goes from the town of Lahaina ( which most people don't stay in) Kaanapali which has a range of prices, northern Kaanapali, Kahana , up through Napili and at the top Kapalua which is where the Ritz is located.

What do you want for your nightly budget? Do you want ocean front or does it need to be a beach? What time of year are you thinking? There are regular condos and then there are the condos that are set up to be more like a hotel with services such as the newer Honua Kai in northern Kaanapali. If you answer these questions, we can help more.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

Thank you for your reply. I would likely be visiting in the fall (although next spring is a possibility). I really enjoyed my trip to Poipu, Kauai earlier this year and am looking for an area that's smiliar. I'd like to be close to a beach.

Budget wise I'd prefer to be in the $200-$250 a night for a 1 bedroom.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 23:16
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

How much do you want to spend per night?

A condo is going to be cheaper and roomier.

Where did you stay in Poipu?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

Spring.... whales around until April. May, Lei Day, Maui Onion Festival, jacarandas in bloom!!! Seabury Craft Fair too.

Fall, kids are back in school, so quieter, and more affordable. September is the hottest month. Maui Fall Fair in early October. Lots of stuff going on on Maui all year, and I need to go buy a lottery ticket!

Have you familiar with VRBO? Plunk in some dates, add some filters for oceanfront, beachfront, 1 bedroom, and see what comes up. At least you will then have an idea for price.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

If you enjoyed Poipu and are budgeting about $250, look at Napili in West Maui and South Kihei in South Maui. Although...rates change depending on the seasons. We go to Maui in winter to escape snow at home and to enjoy the whales. Condos are nice 'hme away from home' in casual Hawaii -- most logical for a stay of a week or more.

This site has aerials and reviews of most lodgings in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com

6. Re: What are the popular condo/vacation rentals areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:21