We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

Aloha from Maui! Enjoying sunrise at napili. Don't want to spend a lot of time in the search feature so hope you don't mind questions while here. First full day and we're headed to swap meet, IAO valley, then grocery shopping. Any recs for the swap meet? Affordable/ good stop for lunch while out? Any items good to pick up at Costco that aren't bulk? Is beer cheaper there than Foodland? Is it out of our way to go to Costco after iao valley?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,834 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

Swap meet, take water! It gets hot there, also a big bag for your souvenirs. Look for 808 guy for shirts, and Jeff's jams and jellies for coffee rubs for steaks on the BBQ, and Paradise Meadows for wonderful smelling soap! Lots of others too, just be careful you are not buying "made in China" or Indonesia.

There is a food truck very close to the swap meet. Heck, you could probably pick up lunch right AT the swap meet!

Costco is ridiculously cheap for booze, but then I am from Canada, where even the gas is more expensive than Maui. And do know that Costco has started to carry more stuff in a reasonable size. It isn't all huge packages anymore.

After Iao Needle, you would be driving all the way back to the airport for Costco. Well, almost... Costco is right by the airport.

If you are wanting to go to the swap meet, you should get going NOW!

Have a great day!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

for a couple's stay for 10 days (and this was Kauai but I imagine it is very similar here)- at Costco we got all booze (very reasonable wine and beer) , a rotisserie chicken (Could have gotten two and shredded/froze in baggies for later meals- will do that next time. I like that they are hormone free and very big), an oriental chicken salad mix and a box of baby greens to go with as you have to add the lettuce for that salad (this worked well for 2 lunches in after hiking or snorkeling), a bag of macadamia nuts which I used for coating mahi-mahi twice with other spices/panko, fresh opah, ahi and maha-mahi for dinners at home and some water. The bottled water was overkill for us as tap was good. Got a tub of kalua pork which was way too much for us to eat- Only finished a 1/4 of the tub. It was really tasty but would just get at food stands next time. I have yet to be in Maui but that is my Costco input from Kauai. We did stop later for some mac nut goodies for friends back home, and gas before heading to airport. Foodland had the best Poke- have not gotten too much into the food threads here for Maui but that was the best I found- and I tried a lot in 10 days!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

Thanks! So, we wouldn't be driving back by Costco after IAO needle?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

You could drive by Costco after Iao but it's actually not "on the way" so to speak. Just depends on which way you want to go. You can take Honoapiilani Hwy. all the way to Wailuku then turn off to go to the valley. This road hugs the West Maui mountains. To get to Costco you would have to go through Wailuku heading east.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,834 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

google maps!!!

http://goo.gl/maps/EMJbO

I love remembering how to do this!!! Note that you would be on a different route after Costco to head back to Napili.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

One of my favorite Costco finds on our last visit was the pineapple salsa! Yummo!!

7. Re: lunch, swap meet and grocery questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:17