We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Indpls, IN
Level Contributor
74 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Day 17 Thursday, September 19

Last full day in Maui and it’s been great to be able to spend 17 nights here, our longest trip so far. Awake and up by 7am (something about seeing that it’s light out makes me want to get up and open the curtains rather than go back to sleep). Started coffee and tea and made an omelet with cheese and the last of the pepper and tried the last of the cream cheese on some toasted French bread – not bad! Snorkeled Kahekili from 9:30 -1 2. We were across from the Westin buildings again when we saw 1 large turtle, then a second turtle joined him, and they went to the bottom and started circling each other nipping at each other. While we were floating and watching a third turtle joined them and the three of them circled/canoodled on the bottom while we tried to decide what would happen but they split apart and each headed a different direction. Now the dilemma, which one to follow? We decided to follow the one headed south going closest to shore and he was in quite shallow water most of the time. We still had him in our sights when we saw 3 eagle rays swim right past us towards shore. They were in really shallow water, their fins were in and out of the water, people on shore again were trying to figure out what they were. A fourth came to join them and they headed south. We followed them for a bit not getting close but it was getting hard to see them because the sand was muddying up the water so close to shore and it was pretty shallow with some glare also from the sun. While drifting after them I saw a longspine porcupine fish so had to stop and watch for a bit while DH followed the rays. This snorkel made DH even more sure he wants an underwater camera before our next trip. We walked down the boardwalk back to KBC and had a quick dip in the pool and a quick snack in the room. More lanai time till the sun chased us down for more pool time. We got cleaned up then and headed back to Maui Brewing Co for another happy hour draft and nachos. I had another Big Swell IPA and DH had a double IPA that I don’t recall the name of but it was VERY good. We shared 1 order of nachos again, adding pork and sour cream like last time, but skipped the pizza this time and were again stuffed. Our waiter commented that we had gotten the best value on the menu, and while I can’t comment on the rest of the menu, the nachos were delicious, especially with the kalua pork. Got DH a t shirt on the way out. We’d looked at shirts for him at Crazy shirt earlier and the Maui Brew Co ones were $31 there, at the brewpub they were $20. If you wear a MBC tshirt on Wednesdays, the drafts are $3 for the shirt wearer, will have to wait till next trip to try that out. I’d also looked on their website, the shirts were $26 I think on there, and pint logo glasses 2 for $22. We bought a glass to take home for $5 when we were there last week, so prices were better at the brewpub than through the website. Back to the lanai and another nice sunset with more clouds so got the lovely blues and pinks again but not the oranges and magentas of a few days ago. Probably the last one we’ll see as we’ll be heading to the airport tomorrow this time.

Day 18, Friday September 20

Last morning to soak up the fantastic ocean views. Finished the last of the pog, eggs, yogurt and fruit for breakfast, and packed our bags. We put tea in a water bottle in the freezer first thing this morning, and added that to a small tote bag along with the last few pieces of cheese we had left, the last two slices of French bread, and the rest of the bag of Maui chips to make a pool snack for after checkout. We did much better this trip at not buying more than we needed at the grocery store so that we ended the trip with no leftovers and not a bunch of food to feel compelled to eat the last day. Checkout was 10am and our flight did not leave until 8:30 so we each packed a tote bag with toiletries and clean clothes for the plane, and put those in the trunk with our snack bag. Left the car in the KBC garage and headed out in our suits with snorkel gear for one last walk down to Kahekili beach to snorkel. Saw just one small turtle, no rays, but a snowflake and zebra eel and a pale white fish shaped like a humu but with a couple vertical black bands behind the eyes. Not a great description, I know, but we’d seen them a couple days ago and I thought I would find it in the Hawaii fish book I had but we did not, I don’t think it was a lei triggerfish, it didn’t have any yellow on it that we could tell, just gray/silver/white colors with the black behind the eyes. Headed back up to KBC, grabbed the snack bag from the trunk and found 2 chairs by the pool in the shade. Enjoyed the bread, cheese, chips, and tea and spent the afternoon rotating between the chairs, the pool, and the hot tub. About 3:30 we headed in to take showers in the lower level restrooms and put on clean clothes for the plane. The KBC has a washer and 2 dryers on each floor rather than in the rooms so we carried our swimsuits to a dryer and got them dried before packing them into the suitcases. Managed to get everything back into the same number of bags we brought, one to check and 3 to carryon. Headed towards the airport with a stop at Aloha Mixed Plate for an early dinner. Sat under a tree closer to the ocean and soaked in the gorgeous weather while waiting for our food. This time we got a shoyu chicken and a mochiko chicken plate and shared the 2 types of chicken. I enjoyed both, we’ve had the shoyu chicken before, but this was the first time we’ve tried the mochiko, the menu described it as “boneless chicken thighs marinated, dipped in sweet rice flour batter and deep fried til golden brown”. The thighs are cut into small pieces, and the helping is huge considering the whole plate with the rice and mac salad is just 7.95. We were glad we’d gotten the smaller (though still a very decent size serving) of shoyu and shared, we would not have been able to finish 2 orders as big as the mochiko. We drove through some mist on the way to the airport but it let up as we got to the gas station to fill the tank. Smooth drop off of the car at National and caught the shuttle to the airport at about 6:30 for our 8:30 flight. There was a modest line waiting to check in at the United counter but no one in the premier line (one of the few perks of traveling a lot for work) so we got our bag dropped off (it weighed about 30 pounds coming home as all the food and sunscreen was replaced with kona coffee, macadamia nuts and sea salt - the Honolulu cookies stayed with me in my carryon) and our boarding passes printed. The line to go through security wasn’t bad either so we had some time to kill at the gate but it went fast as I caught up my trip notes. Boarded the plane and enjoyed a mai tai while watching the new Star Trek movie (which I fell asleep to) and got to LAX at 4:30 am, about 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Our luck ended there with flights as our LA to Chicago plane which was to leave at 6am was delayed awaiting crew until 8:15am. We found a United kiosk (surprise no one working the help center at that time of the morning) and discovered we’d already been put on a later flight out of Chicago, so just had to endure a cold and noisy gate area at LAX for 3 hours till we could board our flight. Landed in Indianapolis about 2.5 hrs late at about 7pm to end a great trip. Thanks for the nice comments on the previous parts of this report, I get a ton of information from the Maui forum, and love reading others’ trip reports, either to reminisce or find tips to try on our future trips. A big thank you to all the regular Maui contributors, the answers you post to people’s questions are very helpful!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Sorry to see the end of your wonderful reports...now I have to remember to wear my Maui Brewing Co shirt when we visit in Feb.!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

nice trip report. love the mai tais & star trek! I should have done that too! So lucky to see so many sea turtles underwater!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Looks like it's a Hawaii thing to wear brewery shirts to get discount? Kona does the same for Tuesdays!

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

It sounds like a great end to a great trip. Do you have plans to go back yet?

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I enjoyed reading about your time on Maui. :)

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

You sure had a nice time on Maui. I love your reports on the snorkeling, the turtles, the rays etc. It's what keeps me coming back. I haven't done Airport beach for a few years I'll have to go again next time based on your reports :)

Dave

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Sorry to see your time on Maui, and your wonderful reports, come to an end. BUT..how great to have had 16 days to enjoy this lovely island.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Another fine Maui vacation comes to an end. Thanks for all your updates. Enjoyed reading every one. Looks like you had a very memorable vacation.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

Thank you for your excellent trip reports. I couldn't find info on Happy Hour on Maui Brewing Company's website. Do you recall what time HH was and what the menu was?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September Trip Report Final Part 6, Days 17-18

I was so interested to hear about your mochiko chicken! I have a box of mochiko flour in my cupboard, awaiting some good recipe. I already made a cake with one box. It was a recipe from 3 Chihuahuas, a DE for Kauai.

And thank YOU for taking the time to report back to us. It can be hard to find the time, once you are back home and facing all the regular chores.