We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Chapel Hill, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Hi folks! I'm bound for Maui mighty soon and am looking at new cell phone plans. Does anybody know which service provider gets the most coverage in Maui?

Mahalo...Thank you!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

I believe most cell phone providers get good coverage on Maui. If there is one that looks like a good plan to you, check out their map. I have AT&T and get great service everywhere...the only places you don't really get service is around Haleakala- it's hit and miss and the section of the road going around the north from the blowhole around.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

I think with my crew we have all the majors covered...ATT, Sprint, Verizon, and we all get pretty good coverage. As with any cell phones there are always "spots", even within our condo, where service isn't great but, except for the areas mentioned, it's never been an issue.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Verizon.

I use my cell phone to process credit card payment and I finally figured out that Sprint is what was messing

up my processing of payments. 4 G coverage really helps and the i phone did not get 4 g in some areas. So for me it was an Anroid and Verizon as the better reception and processing coverage.

Boat captains may pick a different provider. It used to be different out there.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

I pull a 4G wave nearly all the way to the northernmost, inordinately remote part of the island with Verizon, & also had a signal at the Ulupalakua ranch store on the barely/rarely traveled portion of the Kula Highway (37) , although the tower location in this basically roadless area remains a mystery(?)

As ridiculous as it sounds ... I actually get a stronger signal in most portions of Maui via Verizon, than I do near my mainland digs, directly adjacent to the 580/680 interchange in the east SF Bay Area, where nearly a million cars pass through on a weekly basis..

Alo)(a, NKO

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Also recommend Verizon. I had T-Mobile for awhile and could not get coverage inside buildings, including condos on Maui and Kauai.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Are you MOVING to Maui? If not, just get the phone with the best deal for you. All the major networks get coverage.

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Mobi sucks...drops calls, breaks up constantly. Can't go back to mainland and get service (local only).

Maui
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

Go with Verizon. Hubby has Sprint, and he can't even use the phone in our place. :( They said their "tower" was down. Worked for awhile, but he still has to go outside to make calls.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

We have AT&T and we never had any interruption with service, only areas on the Road to Hana and Halekaela.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cell phone service provider for coverage in Maui?

I agree with konagirl; don't let your trip to Maui be the deciding factor in which carrier to use. That said, I can safely say that, in any case, you shouldn't choose T-Mobile. Unless you're the type that wants to get away from phones, text messages, and the internet while on vacation. ;-)