We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

South Florida...
Level Contributor
284 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

From Nakalele Point which way would you drive back to the rental car at the airport.

We will be on POA cruise, renting a car. Day 1 - Road to Hana,

Day 2 to Lahaina, Dragon's Teeth, Blowhole near Nakalele Point.

How bad is the one lane part of the road ?

Also which is a better drive to Lahaina from the cruise ship port - Hwy 30 or Hwy 380.?

We'll get an early start.

Also wish to go to Haleakala NP on which ever day we have more time.

PS - we are used to long driving days.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

Go back to Kapalua, through Ka'anapali/Lahaina & on to Kahului - the risks aren't worth the inverse, one-lane drive (go get some banana bread from Julia or Lorraine at tip of Kahakuloa if you must, but then turn around. If something happens on that road, you'll miss the boat & it'll take you nearly the same amount of time either way.. :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Texas
Level Contributor
840 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

From the cruise ship terminal I would take 380 until it connects with 30. It's signed quite well through there--just watch for signs to Lahaina.

From Nakalele Point, I would turn around and come back through Lahaina. But then, I am not for that much adventure.

Someone that's driven from Nakalele Point to Kahului directly might be able to give you a better description of that road.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

All major rental car companies prohibit you from driving much further than the blow hole. This is supposedly a 2 lane road (wouldn't know it though) white knuckle, cliff hugging drive. The rental companies don't want you to take their cars there!!

Also, Dragon's Teeth is a very sacred area for the Hawaiian's. It's a place you really shouldn't visit. You have to cross private property to get there. The link I used to post about this is no longer unavailable unless you want to subscribe to the Maui News newspaper!!

Edited: 02 October 2013, 21:48
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

You definitely do not want to take that road counter-clockwise...it puts you on the outside of the road. There are places only 1 car can pass and someone will be backing up on the one-lane cliff hugging parts. Going clock-wise the other way is not much better and yes..not too long ago there was a person enraged that he had to pay for damage to that car on this road...well, that is why the rental companies forbid it. Do people do it? yes..is it worth the risks to you?

Yes Dragon's teeth are not only on a dangerous point that will have rogue waves, but you are either crossing private property of the golf course or walking over sacred ground to get to it. Again are people going to it? yes..does it make it right? no. You can see beautiful similar rock formations further down on the Kapalua Coastal trail in front of the Bay Villas.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

When are you traveling? Make sure you are watching the news for updates, as the Haleakala NP is closed right now.

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

if yiu don't turn around and go slow and be careful, you should have enough time to stop at iao valley.the road does get narrow but it is paved the whole way. its quite the adventure.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

Ok I have been on plenty of narrow, winding mtn roads and am perfectly comfortable on the back side of the road to hana but the road past the blow hole is flat out creepy. Steep cliffs on one side, rocky cliffs poised to fall at by minute on the other. No thanks!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
284 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

Ok, I will heed the advice and double back.

The book everyone recommends "Maui Revealed" talked about the Dragon's Teeth and the one lane road.

They did not say anything about having to cross private proeprty to get there.and made it seem like a place to stop. They also made it sound like the one way portion has been improved.

No big deal, I will skip it.

Thanks everyone.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

That's why on here, many of us warn against using the Maui Revealed book. Locals hate the book. It gives lots of places..including places on the Road to Hana that you are trespassing as well, yet it doesn't tell you that. Unfortunately people don't know and now other things such as websites talk about those places as well. It's really too bad. Thanks for taking our advice.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving advice - from Nakalele Point to Kahului (rental car)

Your use of "everyone recommends" is overblown. Like travelbugged say's most of the people on Maui detest this book. I, for one, would never recommend it. For the very reasons you site, it encourages people to go to places that are best left alone.

I too am happy you will take our advice. There are so many other places on Maui to see where you will be welcomed with open arms.