We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute question on Gardenias

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute question on Gardenias

Well the time is FINALLY here. We are leaving for Maui in about 7 hours! If I want to buy a gardenia to wear in my hair is there a place close to the Honua Kai where I can get one? Mahalo and I will be giving TRs soon.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

Haven't noticed any on my neighbors tree so they may be out of season (at least in West Maui).

There is a florist in Kaanapali Shores or Aston Kaanapali Shores and that is walking distance from Honua Kai.

Gardenia is one flower that we can not export from Hawaii. When I phoned and asked the Ag department why we could not take gardenias (my mothers favorite flower) out of Hawaii she said she did not know why.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

Interesting fact jimgloria, when I was on Kauai in may 2009 my daughter and I found a honor stand really cheap and smelled heavenly love Gardenias.

JnJ hope you find some!

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

I will check at Kaanapali Shores- thanks.

It is perplexing that the Gardenia cannot be exported. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

There's no nefarious gardenia plot at hand. Our gardenias are subject to getting a disease (green scale) that is highly contagious and doesn't exists in the mainland. Our plants can be exported--but only if grown under horribly strict conditions with rigorous inspections.

Gardenia is out of season now. Any you get will be hothouse ones. A florist may have some.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

we got some wilted Tiare in Kihei. out of the way but maybe some blooming on that side.

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

We found a beautiful white flower this morning. It is not a gardenia but it is beautiful anyway!

7. Re: Last minute question on Gardenias

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:18