We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car for March 2014

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car for March 2014

Hi everyone!

Been reading thru a few previous threads on the car rental subject, and I am wondering if it is best to get a standard car or jeep with removable top for our trip to Maui? First time to Maui and we do plan on doing the RTH, Volcano sunrise/set (for the life of me I cant even begin to try the spelling lol) lots of beaches, and we do like 'off the beaten track' sort of adventures.

Currently for a 7.5 day rental at the end of March 2014 on discounthawaiirentals for a jeep is $445 and a standard is $340. We will also be visiting Kauai on this trip - Is the jeep better on that island?

Your opinions pleeeeease!!

Thanks

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car for March 2014

There is no where on Maui that you will "need" a jeep. There is only one company that will allow their jeeps on the south portion of Haleakala and the major companies don't. It all boils down to need vs. want!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car for March 2014

Save the money -- and have a car with secure storage. Small is fine. Cheap is best! Your rental contract will prohibit any 'off-roading' anyway.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car for March 2014

We have rented jeeps in HI and while they are fun, the top can be a pain in the neck to take in and off when a sudden shower comes along.

We have a comvertable on this this trip and love it. It has an automatic top so pulling over and putting it up or down is easy. They are more expensive if price is a consideration. We paid $511 for nine days from Alamo,

Also, when we got the car the agent tried to talk up into upgrading to a jeep and told us, "you can take them places you can't take a car." What? I don't think the insurance company would agree,

We did do the back side of HNa in the comvertable with no problems. We thought the car was fine on the road but we knew and understood the risk we were taking.

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car for March 2014

I think we may just splurge and have a jeep on both islands ! If we end up not liking it so much on the first island, perhaps we can change to a different vehicle on arrival to the 2nd island.

5. Re: Rental Car for March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:17