We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

This blog covers Wednesday of this week and it was a glorious, rambling around the island day from south to west and back again for sunset! When you are lifetime Alaskans, going all over in one day is fun and normal!!! Thanks for sharing this trip with us......I really enjoy helping to demystify this island for new visitors because it was not that long ago we were new travelers to Hawaii. Many visits later, this feels like our second home.........it remains our happy place! Tomorrow is another amazing day! Deb

…blogspot.com/2013/…

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

I believe I have finally caught up with you after an unbelievably busy few weeks for me -- three trips, but none quite like Maui. Your writing style really does take the reader with you -- it's a gift you have and a gift to the reader.

I would agree with what has been said about the first trip being the main deciding factor in the west vs south debate. So I was interested in your take on the west side, since you included the lower road this time. I hope you'll get a chance to stay a bit farther north in the future, away from Ka'anapali proper.

So after following you in all your travels and activity so far, this sunset really brought a smile. It's so true that you need to see it through to the incredible afterglow.

Don't you think the second to last photo resembles a spinner dolphin? :)

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Catching up after a few days at the Oregon Coast. ( Not Maui, but still a wonderful place to enjoy gorgeous sunsets and celebrate good news regarding daughter's health)

I, for one, am pleased with the camera situation. It means we can enjoy the narrative now, to be followed later by more photos. If the ones attached to current blog are from phone camera, they are pretty darn good! I like the scenery, but LOVE the smiling faces! Are you still planning on trying the stand-up paddle board? I haven't seen any reports of close by shark sightings lately, so maybe I would give that activity the green light. (unless you already did and I missed it somehow?)

Texas
Level Contributor
852 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

We do sunsets almost every night--they are one of our daily events--Big Beach looks a like a great place to see one!

It's just so nice to be there--who cares if plans get changed? Glad you were able to be flexible--again!

Enjoy Thomas! I think you are going to have a great week with him.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Such fun! Thanks for sharing & enjoy your week with Thomas!

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Very nice report and beautiful photos! :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,875 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

That is our kind of beautiful Maui day too! Hope you do get up to the Kapalua Costal trail sometime this week. Would Thomas enjoy a day up there? I am so happy for you all to have this time together! It makes me miss my Zach. Still praying he will be able to get vacation from teaching in China to meet us in Hawai'i in March.

Oh! And have you tried boogie boarding at DT Flemming yet? That is absolutely the best rec I have gotten on this forum. Mahalo Mamma! I'll bet you'll love DT with your new goggles. You know you're one step closer to snorkeling with those!!!

Love, love, love these reports! I could read your writing all day long and imagine I am right there with you!

PS - Almostgrownup - Isn't it funny how we can travel to another wonderful place, and still have our thoughts turning to Maui?

Have a fabulous Saturday!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Well let me talk about October is "Breast Cancer Awareness Month"! Wear PINK.

Well, maybe not! LOL I've really been enjoying your blog. We appreciate it because it does require significant effort. A big mahalo Deb!

I am chilling over here in Hana at my bungalo. Abigail made coffee and I am devouring a couple of the PINK cupcakes we gave out yesterday at the filling station for "Wear Pink Day" (in support of Breast Cancer Research). Hana looked awesome; mostly glowing in pink last night. (Maybe I'll post some of the pictures huh?) (Psss, see I got that comment back in there too Deb!) LOL

Latter.....Keep Calm and Share Aloha,

Caddy

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Susan......thanks! I hope life slows down for you just a little and before long I will be happily enjoying your whale reporting. Very happy we will get 8 nights at the end of March to get in a couple whale watches. That photo just seemed like a dolphin or tailless whale jumping from the ocean!!!

It totally matters the location for that first visit because if you fall in love with Maui.....there will be deep emotions connecting your senses to that side of the island.......but yet my friend barefoot and others have had a different experience. I know that while I enjoy the lower road, it does not evoke the same pleasure or feeling I get from Kihei Road. I just see more families, locals and a more wide open sense of non-confinement driving Kihei. Lower Road is more twisty, curvy and narrow. The local I might encounter is the guy in a truck behind me wanting me to speed it up in a zone not marked for speed! We have now been on that road six days out of the ten we have been on island. But I can easily understand west side lovers getting choked up the same way I do when I turn right to begin the crawl to Koa Lagoon! I will not rule out a stay in a condo on the west side......I will only rule out HOTELS unequivocally!!! Done!

Barbara.....so sorry I missed seeing you and thrilled your daughter is getting better! Mom's care helps immensely! You are exactly right, too. The camera photos can be sorted around when I have the leisure of nights at home with my desktop, but remembering the emotion of what we did and the little things matters to me. Some folks are not into that in a trip report, but these reports are meant to bring me joy when I am surrounded by winter or too old to vacation!!! And there is a reason the iPhone camera is taking over photo shooting from cameras....lol!!!

Betty......We were pleased to see young people enjoying the sunsets as much as us older folks do. Thomas is looking forward to down time!

Thanks Susan and Syrah!!!

Teri.......keep reading cause you will see that those trails were a priority! And you are going to love your choice for next spring. There is a very good reason Jennifer loves that area! I had hoped to get to DT Fleming and it may yet happen because we have spent considerable time on the west side this trip. If not this time, my BIL would love to ride waves with me and I hope to show them the west side.....assuming we have time with wedding festivities for my sister's BF. Your reports do the same for me Teri!! I hope your kiddo can join you cause making memories with our kids is even better when they are older cause it is more difficult to make it happen! Deb

P.S. The roosters and excitement fir today's events have me awake early to get the day started!!! It is our day to play at both the Swap Meet and the Maui Fair!!!

Caddy......I loved our pink tinged sunset over here in Kihei, too! Aloha back at you!!!

Edited: 05 October 2013, 16:57
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,875 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Hooray!!!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally....Maui 2013 Just Hanging out in the Beaches of Maui

Ahhhh, what a wonderful post to read. I went from super motivated to clean house to totally relaxed. Your writing and your photos seem to make me pause and enjoy the moment.

Thanks again for sharing.....