We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangers when hiking in Maui?

12 posts
Save Topic
Dangers when hiking in Maui?

I live in Alaska and hiking here always comes with the danger of running into a bear or some other wild animal. Is there any kind of wild animals we would run into on a hiking trip in Maui? Or any dangers to just be on the lookout for? The idea of not always looking out for bears in the wilderness is very foreign to me! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

No bears but there is wild boar. I've never seen them while hiking but I've heard them. Also, depending on where you hike, you may run into a hunter.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Watch for loose rock above and on the trail.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Of course it depends where you are hiking, but wet, slippery trails are what keep me alert. We read about people who slip, trip or stumble and fall down trails, off cliffs, etc. It can be a long wait for help, especially if you are by yourself because your spouse/hiking partner has to run down an hour or longer to get help. Also the base of waterfalls can be a tempting treat to cool off after a long hike - just remember rocks do come over the falls and conk people on the head so be wary. Take lots of water and energy bars and/or fruit for long hikes :-)

Enjoy!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Watch out for falling coconuts. Don't hang out under a loaded tree. Other than the few things mentioned there's not much to hurt you here while hiking.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Flash flooding around streams. The heavy rain feeding it may be up the mountain.

Leptospirosis in fresh water bodies, especially if they are stagnant . Safest not to go in with skin breaks from bug bites, scrapes, cuts, any time your skin barrier is not intact.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 22:53
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Falling coconuts is not something I would've even thought about, but makes sense!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

Cane spiders! LOL (A joke on these forums. They are the size of a dinner plate and scary looking, but not dangerous.) Now...centipedes...that's a different story; nasty, poisonous, hiding in cool, damp places. Yes, a coconut can kill you, and...never turn your back on the ocean or go into it if the water is murky.

8. Re: Dangers when hiking in Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17