We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
252 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

I just got back from Maui and thought I would share with others, bring your reusable bags with you. Out of habit I brought along my own bags and I was happy I did because every store I went to no longer offers plastic bags (yay). Grocery stores offered paper but at Wal-Mart they seemed to offer no bags other than selling their own re-usable bags.

I think this is all good news but I know others might be surprised.

Ca
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

Better still, buy some local reuasable bags then use them back on the mainland. I have a few from Longs and always have someone come up and coment on them in the store like when were you in Hawaii?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

That's a good tip. I ended up buying some from Walmart. Made a great souvenir!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

Yes Maui County is a no plastic shopping bags place.

I do take extra plastic bags from the veggie section of the grocery stores. They are just plain handy. Great to store a damp bathing suit in your suitcase.

Walmart will not give you a bag or box . I usually head to the cat food department and take a cardboard tray from the shelf.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

The bags we like the most are the bags that fold inside themselves. Haven't seen them a many places but if you run into them their great. We got a few from our Relay For Life event but we have also found them at Volcano NP and Haleakala NP. Those are made of 99% recycled material they are super light weight and stuff into themselves and are about the size of a small apple. They open up to about the same size as a plastic bag. They also come with clips to hook them to a purse strap or belt loop. They also fit just fine in your cargo pants leg pockets. Here is some on Amazon that are made by the same company, Chico Bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Shopping-Tote-Grocery-ChicoBag/dp/B005ZV91T0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1381261400&sr=8-11&keywords=shopping+bag

Sorry the link doesn't work. Cut and paste or just search chico bags.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 20:47
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
531 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

I have many many of the colorful nylon ones that the clothing chain stores sell (reitmans, bentley etc) and just picked up a great large one from target so will make sure I pack several with me. I generally have a couple in my purse at all times.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

I've seen the bags dreamin speaks of here on Kaua`i at supermarkets and Ace Hardware.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

I have a few of those that fold up into themselves, I got one in june at the farmers market in Honokowai they are great for packing since they are so small.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,482 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

I also use a canvas tote as a purse. I keep my small messenger bag purse inside the tote to keep my personal items from being lost in the big tote. This is a convenient method for always having a tote handy for any purchases we randomly make throughout the day. Do I always look stylish......no, but I look just a bit less fresh off the plane. My tire vendor at the swap meet complimented me for having his tote look just the right amount of worn in!!! 808 Clothing used to have killed canvas totes but they stopped carrying them! Drag......they were so cool, Deb

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Shopping: Bring your own bags

Had fun buying my reusable bags from Foodland. Knew about the bag thing as it is that way here at home but didn't want to haul my TJ bags to Maui. Foodland has great designs on their bags and make for a great trip reminder.