We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

We have a conference in Maui in January and will be booked at either the Hyatt or Westin near Ka'anapali Beach. We have the option to add 3 additional nights at our own cost, at about $350/night. I have heard that the beach isn't great directly in front of these hotels. I am trying to figure out if we should book our additional 3 nights at a different hotel that would have nicer beach, but still be a nice place to stay for less than the cost of extending at the resort hotel. Or, we could stay at the conference hotel and drive to other places if that's the best option.

Which area would have good, calm water in January for swimming/snorkeling? Is Napili nice at that time of year? Could we find good lodging that's on a really nice beach for less than $350/night? Or are we better off just extending at the conference hotels? Thanks!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

Check out the Makena Beach Resort down south in Makena nice resort and unlike the other ones near there they don't charge a resort or parking fee.

The Beach there Malu'aka is great for swimming and snorkeling and will be nice in january

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,695 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

The Westin and the Hyatt are both on lovely Kaanapali Beach, here's a little map to get you oriented... kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/… .

The beach in front of the Hyatt is not great but the Westin is a short walk down to the snorkeling a wider beach in front of the Sheraton at Black Rock.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

Or look at Aston Ka'anapali Villas for less expense + nice beach + good nearby snorkeling.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

If you are going to be basically stuck in Kaanapali environs while the conference is going on, I would find a nice hotel somewhere else for your bonus 3 days. Agree with UNCMOM - check out Makena Beach Resort.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

Thanks...Makena looks like a good possibility! We were in Maui for our honeymoon in 2008 and stayed at The Whaler (Ka'anapali) and at the Marriott in Wailea. If we're going to go through the hassle of changing hotels, I'd want to be in a different area than the Ka'anapali area for the 3 nights on our own.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

I too would head south. The best, most consistent ocean conditions for snorkeling will be in south Maui at this time. Napili and Kapalua are great places to stay also but your chances of having a bit of rain and larger surf will be higher. I love the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. You might also want to check prices at the Wailea Marriott.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

no one can guarantee you calm water. There can be days at a time when you can't even get in the water, let alone snorkel. So be prepared to wait it out. For snorkeling I like to have some coral around both to look at and to provide the little colorful fishies a place to hide. A lot of beaches in Maui just offer rocks for the fish to hide, and that doesn't please either me or the fishies. There is one lovely wide stretch of coral in the area, in front of the Westin Villas, which is at the extreme left end of mamma0233's map. The coral starts in front of the public park and extends north about half way to the Honua Kai. There are deep holes in the reef that can hide turtles and there are always large schools of tangs, durgons, and triggerfish. You could walk there from the Hyatt or Westin, or you could take a shuttle from the Westin. You might even be able to find some small thermal vents.

But whatever you do, if you are there in January don't forget to get out there in the water and listen to the whales. Just duck your head under water and listen. You'll hear multiple songs far and near, maybe even very near. By some acoustic trick I don't understand the songs get a lot louder in you are right on the floor of the ocean, so don;t just stay on the surface. Magic.

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

Daisy...We are from Milwaukee and will be on Maui Jan 6 through Jan 17th...staying at Makena Beach Resort....come on down and enjoy south Maui....we can meet for a drink at the pool bar! Safe travel!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

I would not worry about the beach...just a little short walk down and it is beautiful. If you don't want to move, it is easy to drive around. But, I have heard really good things about Makena Beach Resort, so you just may want to try it. And yes! Listen to the whales under water. Love it!

10. Re: Hotels; Beach/Snorkeling in January; WWYD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:20