We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Maui and activities

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Maui and activities

My family is oing to Maui with almost no knowledge of it. We have been to Oahu but got a go Oahu card. What is a good way to cut down costs/the best things to see and there costs in Maui. We r not into much snorkeling activities and water maybe one snorkel more into exploring, a hike, tours etc. please the most info u can of activities in Maui. We have 2 kids ages 12 and 15 but want to stay in ONLY A HOTEL. we want one room with 2 queen beds. Spacious is not necessary. Which hotel should we stay at that has reasonable prices in the tourist area of Maui close to shops, a mall or fast food and restaurants. Do u know of any with free breakfast? Price is not too much of an issue. Thank u

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Check out the Sheraton, The Westin, Kaanapali Beach Hotel and the Hyatt...all are along Kaanapali Beach with Whaler's Village in the center for shopping and dining options. The Sheraton and Westin offer a free shuttle into Lahaina for more shopping and dining.

Several snorkel or sunset cruises leave right from the beach there.

Most hotels offer breakfast packages but they're not free and there are many cheaper options in the area a short walk or drive away.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Hi Ginu,

Since you had provided quite a bit of info re budget, etc. in your previous thread, continuing the discussion there might have worked out a bit better. Just in case you couldn't find it this morning, here it is: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6904584…

Also, if you're not in a hurry to book your vacation, I would take time to read through the top questions at the right side of this page, and to also pick up a guide book about Maui (from your local library or a book store.)

When are you planning your trip for?

If you do continue the discussion here, please let us know your nightly accommodation budget, as you mention in your post above that you would like a reasonably priced hotel, but then add that price is not too much of an issue.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Just to add ... I looked at your 2nd post in your previous thread and see that you're coming the first week of November. Suggest having a look at sites such as Expedia or Hotels.com to see what hotels are available and in your price range. Once you narrow it down, if you let us know some of the options, we can provide opinions.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

OK, Ginu99, got it - a HOTEL! :-)

Two "reasonably priced" places that I have stayed are the Makena Beach and Golf Resort and the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. Both have friendly service, are on fantastic beaches and neither has a fantastic pool. Each will still be quite a bit over your stated $150/night from your other thread. Remember to add 13.something % tax, and check for parking and resort fees, possibly even Wi-Fi fees. MB&GR doesn't charge these extra fees.

MB&GR is far nicer in my opinion, but KBH has the location you are looking for right in the thick of things close to Whaler's Village shopping center. We stayed there on our first trip over ten years ago, so don't have the latest info, but I do know some rooms are sorely in need of updating and others are nicer. I would go for oceanfront if staying there. And ask for tips from those who have stayed there more recently.

A couple more hotels to check out are Royal Lahaina and Wailea Marriott. Royal Lahaina is on a gorgeous part of Ka'anapali Beach, but a longer walk to Whalers Village. Do NOT go for the cottage there - tower rooms only. Wailea Marriott is in South Maui and is probably the most expensive of these more affordable hotels, but would be walking distance to Shops at Wailea I believe. There are not as many affordable eating options here as in Whaler's Village.

You may be able to save money on your stay by getting a package deal with flights, hotel and airfare. Check your airline, Expedia, Orbitz, Costco, Priceline, etc. Just be aware that the hotels will most likely give you a better room and better service if you book directly. If you think you have a good deal, price it separately and compare. Also, when you have specific questions about specific properties, that's when the forum can be even more helpful.

As far as activities, you won't find anything super discounted unless you succomb to the time share sharks. Don't do it! Usually booking on-line with the company will give you a small discount, and is your best bet with reputable company's.

When our kids were teens they really enjoyed. each time, boogie boarding, hiking, hanging out and trying different restaurants, with as little time in the car as possible. The Road to Hana was a very long day, and though they enjoyed the stops, they told me the day was their least favorite. A visit to nortwest Maui with some hiking was more to their taste. Just don't hike to close to the water's edge or cliff edges and turn around after the Nakalele Blowhole. The road becomes dangerous soon after that. As you can see their favorite things were not paid activities.

The paid activities that they did enjoy though, were kayak snorkel tours, sailing snorkel tours and sunset sails. We do like to get out on and into the water. If you have a bit of experience, or are willing to learn, snorkeling from shore is awesome! They enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau, but for the money, said it wasn't really worth as much as it cost to them.

They enjoyed the fun local and touristy casual restaurants, and shopping and site-seeing in busy touristy Lahaina town. They loved doing pupu crawls, where we would walk through Lahaina and stop at several restaurants, ordering a few pupus (appetisers) and then moving on to the next. Really, the best way to save money is to do one or two big paid activities, and explore on your own for the rest.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Sorry for the typos. I meant our kids' favorite thing to do was beach time.

We didn't do ziplines, but I do think most kids (and many adults) would have a blast with that.

Oh, definitely get a guide book and study since your planning time is so short.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 15:14
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Staying on Maui is very unlike staying in Honolulu. If you want a lot of shops, inexpensive restaurants and hotels for $150/night...you may be happier returning to Honolulu. Perhaps you ARE staying Honolulu, and want to add Maui for five or six nights? (Seems like a long flight for less than a week in Hawaii.)

If you want something most like Honolulu on Maui that would be Kaanapali/Lahaina. You need to budget for a rental car on Maui, unlike Honolulu. We're having some difficulty coming up with $150/night for a hotel on Maui. (There's a Day's Inn in Kihei.)

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Oh, Sue, you are so right when you say, << Staying on Maui is very unlike staying in Honolulu.>>

So I must sigh, when you say, << If you want something most like Honolulu on Maui that would be Kaanapali/Lahaina.>> , to me, that seems like saying:

"If you want something most like Chicago in western Illinois, that would be Galena."

With tourist destinations, shopping and restaurants, it also has a population of just over 3000, and is nothing like Chicago! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galena,_Illinois

Just as Lahaina and Ka'anapali are nothing like Honolulu! Just my opinion of course.

Sorry Sue, couldn't resist! :-)

Edited: 09 October 2013, 18:31
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

The $150 cost is going to be tough this close in, even if this is considered low season. If you can stand 2 doubles rather than queens, which wouldn't work for many families, Orbitz promo code 48HRSALE until midnight Central time tonight has some great deals. Royal Lahaina, partial ocean view in the tower, for $178 cancellable rate. Sheraton, right on the main Kaanapali Beach area, is $199 resort view/$219 ocean view (or if you really want something special--$289 oceanfront deluxe), nonrefundable. Both have resort fees (Sheraton $31/night, not sure what RL's is).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

What you are looking for is something in Kaanapali. Not one of my favorite places on Maui but plenty of people like it. Your problem is going to be finding something in your price range. Up it by at least 100.00 a night and you will be in the ballpark.

There is nothing on Maui, that I'm aware of, that would be like the Oahu Go! Card.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Maui and activities

Take a look at the Maui Coast Hotel. I believe they have 2 queen rooms. Not right on the water but a short easy walk. This is also a busy area where you can walk to fast food places and some basic shopping. Resort fee used to be $17.50--not sure if its risen or not. I'm sure you'll have a car but that resort fee does include free at-your-request shuttle service within a certain radius of the hotel. The temporary Orbitz promo I mentioned earlier also gives you a discount at this hotel or look directly at their site in case there are any other specials there.

I know you said you don't want a condo but you may be able to find a studio at The Whaler fairly close to your price range. Right in the thick of the main Kaanapali Beach where Whaler's Village has fast food court, some other restaurants all of which have decent happy hours, and shopping as well as a close trip into Lahaina for more of the same. Check vrbo The Whaler and put your dates in and also check the Aston site. The teens will have to sleep on sofa sleeper if you do go studio. Another possibility is Outrigger Maui Eldorado.

Although Maui doesn't have a Go book, at the airport there are lots and lots of tourist booklets which include all kinds of coupons and other discounts. Many people do Maui "on the cheap" because so many activities such as snorkeling, beach fun, and hiking are free. Unfortunately, your late booking means room prices are now higher for your dates. I truly wouldn't rule out a condo as you might be surprised at how much you like it. (You don't have to cook just because you have a kitchen--ours is always used solely for heating and reheating).