We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
335 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

My family & I will be in Maui from April 1 – 8. We definitely want to see the whales. I originally was planning on booking the morning whale watching tour, but then noticed a sunset cruise. Since we will be there towards the end of the whale season, I thought it might make more sense to do the sunset cruise in case we don’t get to see any whales and at least we’ll get the sunset out of it. What do you all think?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Either is great, but I like your idea of the sunset one to see the sunset as well. It is just plain beautiful out on the water. I will be finishing a trip as you are starting and I will be out on the water also! You will still be able to see whales then...they just might not be as thick.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,037 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Any time you can get out on the water in early April will yield whale sightings. I personally would go during the day so I could concentrate on the whales. You may have more time to see them then you would during a sunset sail. You can watch a sunset from the beach every night. Either way, they will be out there!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

We went mid afternoon and did prefer that time. It wax a whale watch only with Trilogy and online cost under forty dollars. Not many folks on the boat. We want to do a couple next year and one with the company Almostgrownup frequents........the Kuleana? Hmmmm....we always see whales from the shots too! But the boat is much better! Deb

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

It's a tough call. If you really want to see whales, then I would have to agree with msfuzz -- a whale watch will do their best to seek them out. And all is not lost if you don't see whales -- the view of Maui from the water is awesome.

Yes Deb, it's the Kaulana (Hawaii Ocean Project). Wish I could be there at the same time...alas.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Often the ocean is calmer early. You'd be looking out to sea for the sunset...same as from land. If you want a little more 'adventure', consider Blue Water Rafting along the Maui coastline -- or stick with a catamaran. Also, try the roadside lookout above Maalaea Bay, which is something of a nursery for cows and calves. When we are on island in February, I see the most action in the bay in the mid-afternoon when the bulls 'come calling'.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
537 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

I also read about Pacificwhale.org tours and was planning on going on one with them for our dec trip.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Thanks Susan!!!i just put it in my notes......that would be so fun to whale watch with you!!! Did you set me say Zmime wax positive he saw massive whales and I thought he was going to cause a commotion our first day on Maui? He did nog want to believe me when I said a little bit early for a massive amount.....One lone male early sure! Deb

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Deb, you can tell Mike he's not alone in spotting elusive whales. I have been known to see blows on lakes (how embarrassing).

Hey Corry, you might want to do a forum search on "PWF" or "Pacific Whale" before you book with them. Just to be informed.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Funny Deb and Susan...I struggle on our Maui summer trips because I'm always looking for the blows. Last July we really thought we were seeing them walking the coastal trail until we realized it was spinner dolphins!

Yes Corry...although the reviews look good..the forum has talked about the real story behind them. Search by date for most recent news.

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
537 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching - Morning or Sunset?

Ok, thanks. I did read some reviews but not loads.