We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining options around the Makena?

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Dining options around the Makena?

Any close by that wont break the bank? Like to splurge once and awhile but cant do it every night. Any comfort food close by?

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

808 Bistro in Kihei says's comfort food to me. BYOB saves $

http://www.808bistro.com/menu.html

not sure if Tommy Bahama's would break the bank in the Shops at Wailea.

Wailea Gateway has Pita Paradise and Monkeypods. and back again in Kihei has Stella Blues.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Don't forget the Makena Beach and Golf Resort runs a shuttle up to The Shops at Wailea. Or are you looking for places to drive to? Coconuts in Kihei is great for fish tacos and fish and chips. LOTS of options in Kihei if you are going to drive.

Don't forget to take advantage of happy hours too. 5 Palms has a wonderful HH with all pupus being half price. It is right on the border with Kihei and Wailea, in the Mana Kai Resort.

Mulligan's on the Blue is another place in Wailea that offers a great HH, and wonderful views from up the hill.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Go to Whalers General Store in the Shops at Wailea. They have a decent deli at decent prices. There are also 3 or 4 restaurants. Cheeseburger Island Style would probably be the cheapest.

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Anyone know about DaKitchen? Reviews?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Very good local eatery.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Da Kitchen is terrible IMO. the food is supposed to reflect local cuisines and they do a good job on some items but all in all I'm never happy. pricey, and for the pricey they should do better. there's L&L for the same style cuisine at cheaper prices next to the Safeway.

doesn't hurt to pop in check out the board and take in the smell. you can also pop in the Island Surf building and have a look at Surfside Deli. most of the food will be displayed and if you don't like it you can make that U turn.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Sounds exactly how we would describe Cafe O'lei. No view but otherwise a very SOLID restaurant experience with generous portions that are smartly prepared, timely service and at prices that although not inexpensive, will certainly NOT break the bank.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

Da Kitchen in Kihei is not good-hasn't been for several years, I agree.

The Kahului one is reopening from a remodel, on Monday. That's the only one I will eat at, and even then I pick carefully these days.

Cafe O Lei is good, I agree.

9. Re: Dining options around the Makena?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 06:19