We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

I've read the reviews for both, but has anyone stayed at both? I discovered Kapalua Villas have the 2 BR suites I'm looking for and cheaper than Honua Kai. But are there any good reasons I'll wish I'd done Honua Kai instead? I've stayed in Kaanapali before (Hyatt), never been to Kapalua.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,508 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

It really depends on the time of year and you weather preference. Kapalua get double the rainfall of Kaanapali

area. honua Kai is on a sandy beach, Kapalua Villas is not on the beach. The Hyatt has less rain and less wind than both of your current options.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,508 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Well the Hyatt doesn't have 2 bedroom suites I don't think.....

I think both HK and Kapalua are really nice. I've stayed in the Kapalua villas and loved it there. Kapalua is a different style resort. Kind of separate up on a former plantation with some of the old buildings still there.

Classy place. The villas are spread over a pretty wide area and consist of The Bay Villas, overlooking the ocean, The Ridge, on the hill, and the Golf Villas farther back along the golf course.

I would think the weather would be nice there most of the year, being more rainy in Dec, Jan and Feb. Of course more rain in the winter means beautiful green mountains and lovely trees and flowers.

The golf villa I stayed in was pretty far from the beach though there is a shuttle you can call to pick you up.

Honua Kai I've just visited, actually I remember well it being built as it's only what, 5 or 6 years old? Anyway it's maybe the quintessential condo-resort, with beautiful new units, big pools Dukes restaurant, etc.

HK is in Honokawai which is a pretty fun area with the nice casual places to eat and a market nearby.

I don't know which to recommend, both great places :) I guess HK if you want to be able to stroll to the beach, but if the Villa you're considering is a Bay Villa with view, wow, I'd probably go there just cause I love Kapalua Bay so much.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 05:39
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,592 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

I always stay at the Kapalua Villas and although I have never stayed at Honua Kai, I snorkel over by there a lot. Honua Kai is new, an on-site restaurant and on the beach. It is big, and tall meaning more people , but enough space I haven't heard much complaint. I love the Kapalua villas because they are quiet. They are like spread out town homes and much less people around. Although not right on a beach, they have beautiful views and Kapalua has 3 beaches on property. There are also several different restaurants throughout Kapalua. Yes it gets a little more rain...mostly at night and passing showers possibly during the day. I love it because the rain gives it the lushness and more rainbows. If you don't stay there, you are close enough to drive up and see it. Beautiful coastal walk in Kapalua...keep driving north and the drive is one of the prettiest around.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Jimgloria, travelbugged, and peacenik make some good points. The weather will likely be rainier in Kapalua, especially in winter. And Kapalua is gorgeous! The two places are quite different.

We have a Bay Villa booked for March, so haven't stayed there yet. I did do quite a bit of research to find just the right unit for us. We booked through Quam. I gather you are looking at booking through the resorts? At the Villas that would be Outrigger. You won't get to choose your unit, and there will be much variation. Some are quite outdated, while some are beautifully updated. I think I would only choose a "gold" unit with Outrigger. There will be smaller, quieter pools, no hot tubs. :-( But Kapalua is one of my favorite places on Maui - very special.

We stayed at Honua Kai two years ago. It's a great resort with the extensive pools and that tubs, and Dukes right on site. All of the interiors are beautifully furnished and finished. The lanais are large with nano doors that open all across to bring the outside in. So far, of the 7 places we've stayed on Maui, HK has been the nicest imo. I think you would like it there. Or Kapalua could be amazing for you, but it wouldn't be right for everyone. (I can't wait to try it, though!) I just depends on the experience you are looking for.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 05:58
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Stayed at both a number of times & while the weather plays into the decision for some, the two properties are actually less than 5-miles apart. Even with a large ohana on the valley isle, I consider the Kapalua Villas my island home away from home, and stay here more than anywhere else on island. The units are really more like a home than many of the cheesily built condos -- you park just steps from your unit and they're built like a fort and very spacious with well designed floor plans. They are quiet, inordinately peaceful, beautifully landscaped/maintained and located just minutes from three somewhat diverse, but all world-class, incredible beaches. If you don't wish to walk or drive, the Kapalua shuttle is a simply phone call away & their aloha-filled drivers will whisk you anywhere in the resort area, &/or back to your unit with just a quick call.

Although I'm more of a beach person than a pool dweller, the pools at the Honua Kai are a large draw for many, myself included. The pool area is very nicely planned & designed. Poolside service is provided by Duke's and they do a great job of taking care of the resort's guests. I'm not a fan of the adjacent beach, but again ... you're just a short drive, or even walk to much better (imo) alternate options.

While the Kapalua microclimate can at times be a bit more inclement and windy than just a short jaunt to the south, I find comfort in the short showers & the trades that provide natural cooling, and also with the awareness that I'm just a quick hop in the car to alternate options if I'm not feeling what Pele has in mind for the northern portion of the "lower road"..

The decision usually comes down to (as you've indicated) simple economics -- I often stay for long periods on island & the savings I'm able to accrue by staying at the Villas vs a smaller, less convenient unit at Honua Kai makes the decision relatively simple. I can stay longer up north & I prefer to delay that return flight for as long as my ATM will permit! :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Thanks all! That really helps!

Level Contributor
37,720 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

We stayed at Honua Kai and had no complaints about our time there. But... Kapalua sure is a beautiful, upscale area of Maui! We spent alot of time at Kapalua Beach. Let us know what you decide! :)

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapalua Beach
Kapalua Beach
986 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

I'm on the same wavelength with travelbugged and MauiNOKaOi -- like the low-rise, low-density of Kapalua Villas better than a tall 600-unit building. However...Kapalua is usually windy, and can be wet -- nice in summer; not so nice in winter. It's also more 'removed' from the rest of the island, which could be fine if you don't plan a lot of daytrips across the island. If you ARE coming in winter or DO plan to go across the valley a lot, look in South Maui. Wailea has many nice low-rise, low-density condos and is less distant.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

You originally asked about using points at Aina Nalu and Honua Kai right? Did you tell us when your trip is?

I haven't stayed at either but have stayed in the general area and would definitely prefer Kapalua Villas over Honua Kai mostly because I like low rise accommodations as opposed to high rise and if Kapalua Villas is cheaper then that makes it even better in my book.

Mentioned in this post
Aina Nalu
Aina Nalu
1,227 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai or Kapalua Villas?

Yes, I'd asked about Aina Nalu, then discovered my points would also work at Kapalua. Going Jan. 5-12th; flights booked just need to finalize hotel! Probably gonna do Kapalua if the friends agree.

Mentioned in this post
Aina Nalu
Aina Nalu
1,227 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI