We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

My husband is a culinary school student and I'd like to take him to either the Class Act restaurant at the Maui Culinary Academy or the O'o Farm Tour & Lunch (sadly, we won't have time for both). Can anyone who's been to both weigh in on which you liked better?

We'll be staying in Napili, and I know it's a bit of a drive to either one from there.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Hopefully someone who has done both will answer but we did the O'o Farm Tour in June and really enjoyed it, the tour and lunch were very good. The setting is gorgeous and the man who gives the tour is the farm manager he is very passionate about alternatives to using pesticides and chemicals there.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Again, I've only been to one, but would love to try the other as well. We did the O'o Farm Tour and it made me very happy. I loved experiencing, in a hands-on way, how Maui's delicious local produce is grown. I'm a bit of a garden geek and I love to eat! So it was special to me to see the specific local ingredients that I love eating on Maui - and learn all about where and how they are grown. At home, I have done some organic farm tours with chef prepared luncheons, and this is something I truly enjoy. It might not be so special to some others who don't enjoy getting their hands dirty - literally!

Choosing and picking the ingredients for our salad was terrific. And tasting so many fruits and veggies right from the plants as we toured was a highlight. The luncheon is prepared in an outdoor kitchen with salad, sautéed or stir fried vegetables & tofu, fresh fish and herb bread along with fruit, chocolate, macadamia nuts and O'o's own wonderful Aina Coffee for dessert. So the meal is somewhat simple, but superb in its freshness and so perfectly suited to the gorgeous outdoor mountain side setting. The views are stunning! To me, the whole experience exemplifies the "terroir" of Maui. I think the chef would be happy to spend some time with your husband too. And you would also have time to explore the other upcountry food destinations - Surfing Goat Dairy, Ulupakalua Ranch, Tedeschi Winery and more.

The Class Act looks like a terrific experience too. The food may be better, definitely more complex and diverse. I've eaten several times at our own local "Class Act" culinary students' restaurant. It's a very enjoyable experience. From what I've read and seen in recent trip reports it's very similar on Maui. And that is why I think your husband might enjoy the O'o Farm tour more - because it really is all about Maui's food. There are student restaurants at most culinary education programs. Now, if he really wants to compare and explore the culinary education there, the Class Act might suit him better. And it would give him the chance to meet Maui's students, which could be cool.

Is this a surprise or have you asked his opinion?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Gosh, that really is a hard one. They are so very different, with one being waited on in a restaurant/classroom building, and the other, walking around the farm, and actually picking your lunch!

Have you checked out the menu at the Class Act for when you are on Maui? That may help you decide. Is this a surprise for your husband, or you asking for any input from him as well?

Teri, you have been visiting my mind again ;o)

Edited: 17 October 2013, 00:26
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

since your DH is a culinary student, I'd op for the o'o Farms tour based on the above description. We have attended Class Act twice. Food is very nice, but the experience of roaming the O'o farms and hearing more behind the scene sounds wonderful for him.

At the Class Act the students take turns waiting tables and cooking. They are busy and have little time for much chit chat..

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Mmm... that coffee was very good we even bought some to bring home expensive but we only drink it on the sundays we are off together as I work every other weekend, I even bought a french press to use with it.

The chef there was very knowledgable and had worked in the Northwest area for a long time before moving to Maui.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

<<Teri, you have been visiting my mind again ;o)>>

Joan, I hope YOU are the psychic one. You're the lottery player! And you so deserve to win!

*:-)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Thanks everyone for your input. I'd like it to be a surprise---I was thinking I'd print out the reservation and put it in his Christmas stocking. We will be in Maui in March.

I'm leaning toward the O'o Farm because I think he'd enjoy conversing with the chef. DH's chef instructors are very big on fresh/local cooking, so I know he'd be interested to see how it's being done in a climate so different from ours. We don't really garden at home because neither of us has the time, but I think he'd enjoy the foraging for his lunch and the menu looks yummy to me!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

I think that's a great idea to put it in his Christmas stocking! If the stocking is big enough, you could throw in a pineapple as well!

Make sure you book some whale watching tours too, or a sunset tour. You will see whales during a sunset sail as well. You are going to have a wonderful time!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

Thanks Joan, we are planning on 4 Winds morning snorkel to Molokini (DH doesn't snorkel, so he can see the fish through their glass portal). We'll probably do a whale watch too, out of Kaanapili or Lahaina. Any recommendations on a tour company? I know not PWF, but any one you like best?

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O'o Farm Tour or Class Act?

We have been to both and the Maui culinary would be a better choice for a culinary student. He will identify with the challenges the students face, especially those that are pressed into service in the front of the house, an essential learning experience for all future food service professionals. O'o farms is a "neat" experience but nothing extraordinary. Besides Class Act, the cafeteria is worthy of a walk through. They have "islands" of international cuisine as well as a bakery featuring breads and sweets. I think he would be more of a kid in a candy store at MCA vs O'o Farm.