We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Sheraton resort?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Westin or Sheraton resort?

Which resort would u stay in if u were traveling to Maui November 8-13 THIS YEAR with 2 kids (13and16)? We will be coming to Maui as first timers and ONLY HAVE THESE 2 OPTIONS as we will book from aeroplan points. Both are the SAME PRICE if booked from points. Which is nicer? Closer to cheap eats (just wondering g if we can walk to lots of options although we have a car if there are better options by cars?) Better resort facilities please specify? We will only have one room and none of my kids mind as we are a very close family and they act quite young ;) A waterslide?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Please HELP quickly!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Ginu, wow, I've never stayed at either, but both seem very nice to me. I personally like the Sheraton just because of it's location on black rock.

I know the Westin has a great kids pool so might be a good choice. But I know as well the Westin has a few detractors here on the board. I've never fully understood the knock on the Westin as I think it looks nice. I do recall it being said that the rooms are small so that might be something to consider.

Dave

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Please I know there are lots of people who know he answer and I neeeeeeed to book fast!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

The cheap eats are located between the two at the Whalers Village little food court.

The Westin has the original wing with small rooms and a newer tower with bigger rooms. I believe it is being renovated now. Better check when that ends.

or

just pick the Sheraton. Nice to have the empty part of Kaanapali Beach on the north side of the Sheraton.

California
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Both are very nice and you won't go wrong with either. I myself would go with the Sheraton but I know when my kids were young they would have picked the Westin because of the pools/slide. Both properties are easy walking to Whalers Village for eating/shopping.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

I much prefer the Sheraton and it would not be stretching to say I'd never stay at the Westin again.... but with kids 13 & 16 I might bite the bullet for them just for the pool. But as I recall the pool at the Westin isn't heated (a lot of pools in HI are not) so if you don't have sunshine the pools are actually quite cool, maybe colder than the ocean.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

I just stayed at the Sheraton there and thought the pool was fantastic - though there's not really any waterslides in it (just one very small one). In general the Sheraton's location was fantastic.

Federal Way...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

You can't go wrong with either one. I don't know how old your kids are but they may like the Black Rock Sheraton better. Ka'anapali Sheraton is built beside black rock one of the best snorkeling spots on the island. Last year when we were there all the kids were entertained by the giant sea turtles that came close to the shore. You will also be able to see whales from the shore as well. Nothing is cheap in Maui. If you have a car you can find some cheaper local restaurants, but Maui is expensive. The Westin is closer to Whalers Village Shopping Center and restaurants but the Sheraton is not that far away either. The Ka'anapali Westin is beautiful, they have lots of fish and live birds your kids might like. Good Luck and have fun. Teralani!

Ca
Level Contributor
152 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Have stayed at the Sheraton many times and the Westin, Love the location of Sheraton better, Westin has the better pool but both are great places to stay.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin or Sheraton resort?

Ginu99, did you manage to book something yet? Hope you have the car reserved. If you are a costco member, check their website, otherwise use discounthawaiicarrental. Keep checking the rates to see if they go down, right up until a couple of days before you leave.

Are you flying via Vancouver?