We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

Who owned the bar?

What drink was his secret recipe?

What is the air strip now?

Who bought the bar?

Where did they move it too?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

Windsock Lounge & Bloody Mary's

Guessing that it's now where Kahekili Beach Park and Weston Villas are.

Not sure who owned it or where they moved to?

Mentioned in this post
Kahekili Beach Park
Kahekili Beach Park
357 Reviews
Maui, HI
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

High School Harry’s Windsock Lounge to be precise :-) For those of us who didn't get to experience West Maui in those early days, here's a great article that SWMarket posted a while back about the original airport.

lahainanews.com/page/…

The old bar was moved to Lahaina when the airport was closed and became a jazz club. We got to go there once in the 90s before it shut down.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 06:17
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

By the way, Jimgloria - did you ever fly into the old airport? The runway was only a short 2600 ft long. Must have been a real white knuckle experience on occasion.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,039 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

Shucks, I never even got a chance to guess at this one! I knew the answer to the air strip one at least!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

I used to work for an airline and boy those pilots at Royal Hawaiian could really fly. Alot of the pilots had served in Korea in the air force. Kaanapali was a tough one because they like to desend at the last possible

time to try and reduce the noise over the new hotels as they approached for the landing. There was a big red light on top of Maui Kai because it was the tallest building in that direction and sometimes they approached from the North but usually they had to clear the Sheraton on top of black rock from the South.

Royal weighed your luggage and you on the same scale. They sat us according to weight and balancing the load. They were also famous for taking things (for free) to Kalapapa, Molokai. Now those sea cliffs create weird wind currents and that little air strip is the one that terrified me. We had a couple of landings that took a couple of tries. I remember being told that in the old days some of the patients of Kalapapa would sit near the airport in hope of hearing a child's voice. Children could not visit the settlement but sometimes their flights would have a stop at the airstrip and it would take time for the plane to pick up or drop off people or supplies.

Blackie and Sara bought The Windsock and put on top of their new building and used it as part of their upstairs bar and jazz club.

Boy you guys got that one fast.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 06:39
Mentioned in this post
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,445 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,148 Reviews
Maui, HI
M B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

Loved airport beach and watching the small planes approach the airstrip right over us while on the beach.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,039 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

And the pilots got to stay at the Sheraton for FREE and golf too! Very nice indeed!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,815 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

>>>Boy you guys got that one fast.<<<

In the age of Google trivia is just too easy.

here is the recipe:

Windsock Lounge and Blackie’s Bar Bloody Mary

Salt rim of bucket glass and fill with ice

1-1/4 oz. Vodka

1 tbsp. Lea & Perrins

Dash tabasco (1/6 tsp or 1/32 oz.)

Dash A-1 sauce

Sprinkle pepper

Sprinkle celery salt

Sprinkle dill weed

Dash sweet & sour

Fill with tomato juice

Float Akvavit liqueur on top

We flew into the West Maui airport once when Amfac was one of my father's clients (we were back on the mainland by then, must have been 1969 or so). When my mother (not a good flyer) saw the size of the plane and then they asked her what she weighed, I was sure my father was a dead man walking.

I actually thought West Maui was less terrifying than the old Lihue airport before they lengthened the runways.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
9. Re: What was the name of the bar at the Kaanapali air strip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 06:19