We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip in May

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
436 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Trip in May

Alright we are Mid-Late 40's in the interest of full disclosure, and there are 3 of us heading to Maui. We know we want a 2 bedroom condo at a minimum, for the bathroom/closet space. The other ladies would still like the feel of a Hotel/Resort, so I know that takes out smaller condo complexes. They are interested in a nice pool with bar service, coffee shop, and a spa is a plus. Restaurant/Room Service on property would also be a plus. They ruled out Kapalua due to distance from everything else, and we could not find anything about pool service, and what I did find during my search was Ritz no longer allows access to Kapalua Villas guests to their property.

I think we have settled on Honua Kai. We have found an owner through VRBO, and I even found a direct review of his unit on TA from June of this year who raved about their stay. They mentioned sleeping with the windows open every night, and no reference to the dreaded "smell". Before we sign on the dotted line, do you have any other suggestions? Trying to stay around $3-$3.5K for 1 week. Our dates are not firm, but 5/14-5/21 give a take or day is preferred. We will book our flights once we have our accommodations secured.

I just read about the O'O Farm Tour & Luncheon, and that is the only planned event we are willing to commit to as of now. However, if you have any other *musts* feel free to offer. Feeling blessed to now have 2 trips to look forward to!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip in May

Sounds like Honua Kai has everything you want, I know the Westin Villas also has what you are looking for but if you book thru the resort you don't know what unit you will get. I know mamma knows a lot about it since they own there is a site you can look on to see if you can book thru an owner I think it's called Redweek maybe? They also have a shuttle that will take you into Ka'anapali and Lahaina too I think.

Just wanted to say we will be there same time as you we arrive on Oahu the 14th spending two nights there and then move to Maui on the 16th and leave the 23rd. I am contemplating trying to organize a TA get together if your interested?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
436 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip in May

I will check out Redweek - thanks for the suggestion.

As far as a TA get together, that would be GREAT! Thanks for including me!

Susie

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,979 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip in May

I don't know what the prices are but you may also want to have a look at the Ho Olei in Wailea or the Wailea Villa's. Also the Fairmont has suites if you are interested.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip in May

Honua Kai is gorgeous.

The chefs that own the farm tour have a great deli-coffee place in the Honua Kai lobby. Great smoothies and food.

The other property with large units is Kaanapali Alii. A little closer to the action.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip in May

Honua Kai sounds like what you want. I'd stay there in a heart-beat. If you are staying over Mother's Day Weekend, let me know. I have a must-do for "girls" that you will love.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip in May

If you are upcountry, a visit to the Lavendar Farm and checking out the snacking flowers and trees would be awesome. Then have a cool snack of scones with jam and Lavendar tea or lemonade. I loved doing that on my recent trip with a friend. I am working on my blog, including that visit, tonight and it will be fun to look at the photos for the first time. Enjoy your trip! Deb

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip in May

Given May is a great time to come to Maui and is not crowded I'd suggest you look at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili and Lahaina Towers. These are the newer condos on the old Marriott Hotel site. They have nice 2 bedroom units with full kitchens and laundry and full service at the large pool complex with a market, pool bar, and restaurant on site. It can be tough to get a room because a timeshare type property.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Best thing about it is that you are right on the main part of Kaanapali Beach with easy access to Whaler's Village shopping, dining, bars. In my opinion a MUCH better location and beach.

Honua Kai is very nice, just an alternate suggestion if you want to be closer to the activity of Kaanapali.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,039 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip in May

The Seabury Craft Fair is always held around Mother's Day. It is just south of Makawao. It is an upscale craft fair, gorgeous stuff for sale, beautiful location with great views. It costs 5.00 to get in! And if you are there before they open, you will be "bagpiped" onto the grounds. Money raised goes to scholarships for the school.

Maui Onion Festival happens in early May, so I think you will miss that one.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip in May

We stayed at Honua Kai this past August. The only concern is that there is no room service if you rent from the owner. We were fine with this and didn't mind having to make the beds.

I would suggest renting in the Konea tower, as this is the fartherest from the sewage treatment plant and do not get a unit with a mountain view. Having said that, we never noticed any smell.

We rented from KBM because they only required a 2 day deposit, others charged more.

We are going back next August and and since we were very happy with KBM, I reserved from them again.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 20:40
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip in May

I was hoping we would be there for the Seabury Craft Fair but looks like it will be the weekend before we arrive their website said it always the saturday before Mother's Day.

Sounds like you might have another option in the Marriott Ocean Club although when I start having too many options I get overwhelmed with making a decision ;-)