We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I fit all this in?

Germantown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Can I fit all this in?

Hi! My husband and I will be in Maui April 6-12 for a conference. We will be in kaanapali Sunday night thru wed morning. I would like to do the following but don't know if that's too much of an itinerary and in which order to do it if it is possible:

Wed drive the Hana hwy and stay overnight in either Hana or waianapanapa state park

Thurs drive to Oheo gulch then kula hwy and spend the night in Paia

Friday makena beach and stay nearby

Saturday fly out

Can I fit the Haleakala crater in somewhere?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I fit all this in?

I wouldn't attempt to do both the Road to Hana and the trip up to Haleakala with your limited time.

What time is the flight on Saturday? Late evening? Early morning? That may be a possibility.

Waianapanapa is glorified camping... you need to bring your own bedding. You may want to look at a place closer to Hana instead. Not many places allow a one night stay, and those that do, charge more for the one night. We stayed at the Luana Spa retreat in their yurt. Just one night, and we paid more.

For Paia, if you can afford it, stay at Mama's Fish House!!! They give you a discount in the restaurant if you stay there as well.

Makena Beach and Golf Resort would be beautiful for your Friday night.

One possibility would be to stay in Paia, then head Upcountry right after checkout. But with all your moving around, you will always have the luggage in your vehicle.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,886 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I fit all this in?

Staying the night in Hana would be fine if you want to spend that much time there. You can't go the southern any further than Kipahulu without breaking your rental car agreement. After Oheo Gulch, go to Lindbergh's grave in Kipahulu and then you need to go back to central Maui the same way you came.

I wouldn't stay in Paia either. Once you get there you are only about a 30 minute drive from south Maui. Faster if you have a lead foot!!

What time does your flight leave on Saturday. Any way to go up to the summit that day?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I fit all this in?

Overnight in Hana might be the best or worst part of your trip. You would be staying in an undeveloped rain forrest. You have to plan way ahead to get a cabin at Wainapapa. Some have ocean views. I have friends that go every year. I went once and haven't any desire to stay there again. It is rain forrest and we had a centipede in the cabin (they love dampness).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I fit all this in?

You only have three additional nights. I'd just move to Makena Beach Resort after Kaanapali. Choose either RTH as an all-day experience or Haleakala and Upcountry; possibly Iao Valley. It's about 25 minutes from Makena to Kahului, where you begin the RTH or the road to Haleakala.

5. Re: Can I fit all this in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:21