We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weilea or Lahanai

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Weilea or Lahanai

My 25 year old daughter and I want to go to Maui for an indulgent week in January. I can't decide between Lahaina or Weilea. What are your suggestions

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

Wailea is more indulgent I think. The other resort area is actually Kaanapali. It has a Lahaina address. What is your budget? That would make a difference.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

And are you after a resort or a condo? For one week, a condo would be nice, even with just the two of you. More room, a kitchen for breakfasts and snacks. You may even want to cook the odd meal in, so you can enjoy your lanai!

You will be able to enjoy some whale watching too, so do consider a whale watching tour, or even a sunset tour. You will see whales then too.

January is a busy time, because of those whales, and being able to escape our cold winters. I know that won't be the case for you, but do get busy, as lots of places will already be booked solid.

Have a wonderful mommy/daughter holiday! They can be very special times.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

TODAY: Reserve your rental car for airport pickup -- unless you want to just stay on property or nearby at a hotel.

Wailea is home to all of Maui's top-rated hotels with the exception of The Ritz in Kapalua (not a good bet in winter). The brand new entry in Wailea is Hyatt's Andaz. It's too new to know if it will challenge the longtime #1 spot held by the Four Seasons Wailea ($500/night and up).

Belfast , Northern...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

Oh go to Wailea ! Beautiful hotels and resorts, a series of excellent beaches, super swimming, lovely meandering traffic-free beachside walk, good shopping, great variety of different spots to eat, good golf, and its all set in hundreds of acres of immaculate lawns and trees. It is also handy for trips up to the High Country, Makawao, Haleakala, or over to laid back Hana. You will love it !

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

If you are using the word "indulgent" literally, then Wailea is the place!! You will find the best most consistent ocean conditions in south Maui during January. Let us know what your nightly accommodations budget is, whether you want an hotel or condo and we can go from there.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

I agree with Wailea. My husband and I just got back from Maui. We stayed 6 nights in a beautiful condo in Wailea Ekahi Village. Really enjoyed the condo. It was very roomy and comfortable and we could enjoy breakfast on the lanai before heading out for the day. It is a beautiful area with really nice beaches and great shopping and restaurants. If you like spas, the spa at the Grand Wailea is very indulgent.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

We really need to know your preference for condo or hotel and price per night in order to make a good recommendation. For hotels, Wailea does have the pricier hotels...but the question is, does your budget match up. The Kaanapali area also has a lot of fans, would be good weather and ocean conditions typically and is home to the Hyatt, Westin and Sheraton among others.

8. Re: Weilea or Lahanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:19