We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Hello! I am going to be in Maui *fingers crossed* in early March 2014. Long story short is this trip was planned for earlier this year but my dad had a stroke and is just now starting to regain his health. I rebooked our tickets but am wondering about finding places that are elderly friendly. He walks but not far or for very long. I am looking for places that are elderly/handicap friendly with a kitchen. I was wondering if anyone on here had some suggestions. Trying to keep it under $3000 for the whole week that we are there. We originally had reserved the Kapalua Villas and Im leaning towards them again. But Im unsure about the location now given his health. Any tips or advice on places that might be easier access for him is appreciated! Thanks.

And in case you are wondering... I dont think we will be doing much excursion/activity type stuff. He just gets too tired and sleeps a lot.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,299 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

I'm so glad your father is on the mend. Scary stuff.

If you are willing to try a different part of the island, we stayed at Maalaea Surf condos in N. Kihei in January. What a great place! There are several two story buildings scattered about the property, it feels so open. The downstairs units are one bedroom. Our unit, C-4, had a wonderfully comfortable pull-out sofa as well. There might be one small stair to get into the unit and ample parking right outside, so no long walks to and from the car.

The grounds are lovely with a large, flat , grassy lawn that leads right up to the beach. There are 2 pools, but I think with normal ladders, so they might be difficult for your dad to get in and out. I can see this place as being very kind to folks with mobility issues. You can pull a lawn chair up to the edge of the grass, bring your binoculars, and enjoy the whale show and beautiful sunsets from there.

Oh, a very short drive to and from the airport, too.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Jenwee, on the right hand side, blue letters, near the bottom of the list, is the one called "travelers with disabilities". Use that link and have a read through it. There is some good information there, including a unit that rents for those with disabilities. A great setup in the washroom too.

Also, check the Gammies website. There are wheelchairs for rent that you can take on the beach! It might be nice for your dad to enjoy that, especially if you get down to Ka'anapali. The boardwalk goes for quite a ways there, and there are wonderful views.

And also, the link gives information for the rental car pickup. Make sure your dad brings along the blue "ticket" thing for the car, for handicapped parking. With that sign, the rental cars are allowed to pick you up right in front of the airport at the curb. You have to have it in your hand, waving it. I don't remember now if you have to phone them ahead of time to request this pick up. We were going to use this system, but we had to cancel our vacation, so can not report how it went!

I wish you ALL the best for the most amazing time ever!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Aloha,

You might want to search for ground level units in your situation. As he might be spending a lot of time resting on the lanai, a good orientation to the view and breezes (Hope you get some!) would be ideal.

After arrival, someone could pick up the rental while the rest of you make your way to baggage claim and/or wait at the front.

Do bring his placard for easier parking logistics.

I hope you all have a wonderful time on Maui and that your father's health continues to improve.

Aloha

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Which villas did you book? Some have no stairs and easy to get around and nice lanais with views. Some have a lot of stairs though. Did you book a VRBO? Or through the villas you could put in a request for a one level or one that has a bedroom and bath on ground level. I will be there in March also and it is fun watching the whales from the lanai. The villas are spacious... I would also request one that has the walk in shower.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will have to look into everything. I definitely need a ground level/ no stairs unit. He could do a few stairs but his balance is questionable since the stroke. I suspect he will spend most of his time snoozing but if I could get him in a wheelchair down to the beach, he would be happy as a clam!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Just to add to the helpful entries above... Papakea in Honokowai is a low rise that has elevators. My elderly Mom always enjoyed the view from the second floor lanai.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

I like the idea of a condo complex with elevators and a large lanai with good ocean view.

Try to avoid that tall lanai furniture that is so prevalent now; not comfortable for older folks and unusable for anyone with disabilities.

Is $3000 just for lodging? If so, that is a very generous budget! You might look at Polo Beach Club in Wailea. Spacious units in a smaller, deluxe condo complex right on a lovely beach.

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

We just got back from our trip with my 78 YO mom. She has limited mobility issues. We chose the Honua Kai because they do have elevators and a resort like pool area. We spent a lot of time at the pool. The condos are easy to get around in and the furniture at least in the unit we picked was user friendly. It was a bit of a short walk to the pools but they have steps and rails to get in and out. The lanai was a wrap around with wonderful views. It is Konea 539. It was right around the corner from the elevator.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

Thanks for the added suggestions! I had to put my search on hold for a bit but I will keep up my research. Yeah... I have kind of a high lodging budget. Im not too happy about it but well... its a once in a lifetime trip so I want to make it special for my dad. Im sure he could do a few stairs but Id rather save his energy for a small excursion or something. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo/Kitchen rental with elderly father

We like low-rise, low-density condos with parking close to the door. March can be pretty windy in Kapalua; I'd take a chance on Napili, but would first look in Wailea in South Maui. This site has well-vetted units in South Maui: www.mauiownercondos.com Do you have your rental car reserved?