We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

I am so happy to be finished with Part #2!!! These two blogs are an overload of photos and some may seem to be the same, but when I looked closer, there were differences. This was a possibly, once in a lifetime event for me........maybe not, but I wanted to include photos from ALL along the way! I did not skimp on photos.......

Thanks to Barefoot for her awesome driving because I was free to take photos non-stop........and I did! I am that person that buys the 8 and 16 G memory cards. I do not take video yet, but that may change. We will see.

Once again, I am not a pro, just a visitor with a Canon DSR1 camera and Tamron 18-270 lens, with polarizer lens. No fancy knowledge cause I could not stay awake nights this busy work summer to learn more about my camera. I hope to at some point. Take care, Deb

…blogspot.com/2013/…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!! I just finished it! I am so very THRILLED with the photos! They are amazing! And I can hardly wait to get back there, because YES, we need to do it again! Okay, you again, me first time! Just amazing scenery, and I was wowing and oohing at every new picture! I warned Dave before I started... dinner will be later!!! Thank goodness it is just leftovers, and the microwave is fast!

And so cool to see the red mittens, even if you didn't need them! Next time.... Haleakala for sunset! It is still on my bucket list!

And so glad you are heeding my advice. Do take care of yourself, and your MOM!! You will have an amazing time, and making memories with family is number one! Goodness, who am I talking to??? I don't need to remind you! You have spoiled us so much with your blogs, that I don't think anyone can object to you taking that time to spend with family.

There are so many photos that you took that would deserve a frame. BUT...your walls are full, so think about making a "coffee table" book! That might be fun to do with these pictures. You can even add your own words in the book. I always meant to try doing one of those, but I like to scrapbook.

Thanks again Deb, for EVERYTHING!!!

from your middle sistah!

Oh... enjoying a glass of wine, using the coasters from the winery!

xoxoxoxoxox

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

What fun reliving the adventure. It was a wonderful fun filled day. 14 hours!!

Why isn't the road straight..I think I said something like, they got tired of moving rocks and decided to go around them. DH said the surveyors had stopped at the winery before going out to the road site!.

Thank you Deb for taking the million and one shots and sorting through to make this blog.You rock! Joan you were the inspiration for the million shots, we didn't want you to miss anything.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Barefoot, if it was straight, it would take ALL of the fun out of it! LOL

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Wow Deb, thank you so much for the time and energy! I especially love the beautiful church, really winding road....that I'm curious why it was made that way, and the stark contrast of the island. I have to say again, that I'm glad you had this wonderful opportunity.

New Berlin, WI
Level Contributor
470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Thanks barefoot....I think it was the wine, too! That was the neat road I was referring to.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

That black and yeller sign said "WARNING! When stream flooding do NOT cross! May cause serious injury or death."

Oh, I hate it when that happens! :)

Great pictures again. I love the contrast between blue water, black lava, and the greens on the mountain sides. Wow!

BTW, if I take my kids for a Sunday drive around backside (cause Boss Man won't let me use his truck anymore), Deb can I rent a pink jeep from that company. I kinda like pink a bit you know.

If you ever come through Hana again Deb on that Harley acting like "Easy Rider Mamma", I am gonna buy you a full tank of gas! It's on Caddy!

I have to sincerely say I don't know anyone that has put some much efforts into the pics and the blogs. I think we all here appreciate your efforts.

Caddy

P.S. And you know, I wish I had me a pair of them mittens. It does get a bit nippy late at night when I have to close down the station. I guess I'll have to live with the cotton ones from the Hana Ranch Store. :(

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

And I would have had 100 less photos for this blog entry cause I admit that I could not take enough photos of that road..........I just loved it! I did a mypublisher book once for our 30th anniversary and I think this trip would be a great choice for another one. They are expensive cause I use over 100 pages and when I discovered the blog was so easy and fun, it saved us a lot of money!!!

My reward for finishing this blog is best TV night all week, in bed with pizza, and NO baked goods. A couple of those photos were showing the damage too many danishes can inflict.......LOL!!! I have all winter to live at the club, on the treadmill. This truly was one epic vacation. Deb

P.S. Thanks Caddy.......I am hoping to be looking for that tank of gas next spring!!! Hope Mike doesn't chicken out cause I like the idea!

Edited: 24 October 2013, 03:03
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Great photos!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

You got it! I think Mike and I can tell each other some good tales. And you like kids right? I'll send you and the little knuckleheads off to Hamoa Beach OK? :)))

You better use Boss Man's truck; I don't think all four will fit on the Harley. :)

Edited: 24 October 2013, 03:07
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming Around the Backside w/Deb & Barefoot Part #2

Wonderful Deb! Thanks for sharing with us all. It took a lot of time for you, but think of the good memories you can look back on. Wonderful!!