We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

......eating Loco Moco from the local food truck, I started wondering, what was the last Hawaiian meal you had on the mainland? Where was it? Was it as good as what you have eaten while in Hawaii?

We are fortunate, in our little town of around 10,000, to have a couple that relocated here from Maui. Chef Christian's father was a very well known chef on Maui for many years. Christian and his wife run a food truck that produces some FANTASTIC Hawaiian fare, including this Loco Moco, with 2-scoops white rice, 1-scoop Mac salad, a hand-formed fried beef patty, grilled onions, three eggs sunny-side up and smothered in brown gravy!!!

O-M-G!!!!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

Well now I am jealous!!

We have no place here to get any Hawaiian meals you people on the West Coast are so lucky.

We have made our own Loco Moco at home and on our trip this past June we spent 3 days in SF before we flew home and my husband got a Spam Musubi mold at the Japanese dollar store Daiso so he has made these at home too.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

Oooh, I like this question! Tuesday, I walked to Venice Beach for poke. There are two side by side fabulous food stands, Poke Poke and right next door is Shultzie's Bread Pudding. My slice of Hawaii in crazy Venice Beach.

Last week, my MIL turned 97! She's never been to Hawaii and is not willing to go (she thinks she's too old, but this is one active City lady who walks and takes the bus all over LA). So, we took her to Duke's Malibu, got a table on the rail to see the sunset, bought her an orchid lei, and the hula dancer who is located in the Barefoot Bar graciously came to our table to do a private hula for her. Food: Duke's deliciousness, especially the Hula Pie with the candle. Ambience: Duke's perfection!

I hear the local Japanese grocery store has some Hawaiian goodies, so the next time I need a "fix" I will give it a shot (I know they have crack seed; someone gave us a bag. Not my thing!).

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

We have an Ohana Island BBQ (chain) close to us. It's just OK. If we need some pretty decent Hawaiian food, we need to make our own or take a ride to King's (bakery has a restaurant) Hawaiian in Torrence, CA about 25 miles away.

I make Kalua Pork in a crock pot and killer Butter Mochi if anyone wants the recipe.....

3Chihuahuas

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

No Hawaiian food on Vancouver Island. Zilch :(

Can anyone recommend a tried and true Hawaiian cookbook or website?

Is loco moco usually served with steamed long grain white rice?

Somehow I think it's unlikely to taste the same as it does when you are there no matter how good the recipe is!

Uncmom you're lucky too! I prefer East coast seafood to West coast seafood. Crab and lobster and sweet, small oysters oh my!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,931 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

Love your story, Plumeria.

We had a Hawaiian restaurant that came - then disappeared in a flash. That was about 5 years ago. We also had a very, very nice Maui Tacos close to home ... but they, too, didn't make it.

There are plenty of L L Barbeques around - but I don't care for them.

The restaurant at the Sunnyside Resort at Lake Tahoe is a T.S. restaurant (like Duke's/Hula Grill/etc.) Some of the same menu items as the locations in Hawaii - including Hula Pie.

All things considered - given the high level of "traffic" between No CA and Hawaii - I'm surprised that we don't have good options.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

Unfortunately I do not eat much seafood I do like shrimp and lobster but not the rest of it including fish but have to say I loved the fish tacos I had on Maui probably because it was fresh fish.

I think you could use any rice with Loco Moco. When my husband made Spam Mususbi I bought him the sushi rice to use. I can't eat it because of the Nori.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 21:35
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

We have Dukes and Roy's close by. When I'm missing Hawaii, I head over to Dukes for a delicious mai tai.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

UNCMOM,

Spam Musubi is my "go to" lunch from Aloha Sushi (our local food truck). They are only $2 each and one is normally enough for lunch, but today I felt like I wanted more, and BOY did I get it!!! (STILL STUFFED!!)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,931 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

You probably feel stuffed because of the salt content in the SPAM.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: As I Sit in Front Of My Computer.......

No SPAM today BLBL!!

If anyone is interested, here's a little bio on Chef Christian:

http://tasteofhawaii.net/chef/