We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

North Liberty, Iowa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

I am staying in West Maui for two weeks in January. Looking for suggestions on booking a helicopter tour of the active volcano at night, I have heard people describe this, but am having a hard time finding out how to do arrange this from Maui. Suggestions appreciated.

Fort Saint John...
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

Thank you for asking this question! I'm in the same predicament and would like info also. :)

Edited: 25 October 2013, 04:47
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

That's a hard one, during the night. Most helicopters won't fly during the night. They have to have an autopilot system. Or a full moon!

There are companies that go there though. Found this one with google.

http://www.volcanoairtours.com/

Welcome to trip advisor too!

Edited: 25 October 2013, 06:06
Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

Hi

I have been looking at this myself. So far I have found you cant get a helicopter from Maui airport to the volcano end of Big Island (too far in a helicopter). You can get a small plane (I think they are called volcano tours) but they run during the day and reviews say the plane doesnt get down as close as a helicopter. I found 2 helicopter tours (Safari & Blue Hawaiian) both run out of the Big Island so you would need a domestic flight in & out. Maybe the best would be to overnight on Big Island as I have heard there are night time volcano viewings. Good luck

Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

The company that does the small plane tours is found at www.volcanoairtours.com

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,395 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

Check out this thread from not too long ago...same question..similar answers

tripadvisor.com/…49912289

6. Re: Helicopter tour of the volcano on the Big Island.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 05:21