We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Chairs

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Chairs

I will be staying at the Ritz in Maui and then St Regis in Kauai for our honeymoon. I would also like to explore other beaches on both islands. I do however like to sit on a beach chair. Can I buy beach chairs for cheap somewhere and then take them on the plane with me to Kauai? They don't have to make them home with me I just don't want to have to re buy in kauai? Thanks for your help!

Edited: 25 October 2013, 20:24
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,396 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Chairs

Thrift stores! There is Savers, right on Dairy Road in Kahului, and there is Salvation Army in Kihei. Not sure where they are located in West Maui.

I don't think you will have much success getting them to Kauai though. You may want to just regift it at the airport to someone getting off a flight, or find a nice family on the beach.

And then start again on Kauai!!

Another alternative, just rent ones from Snorkel Bob's. They are all over the island.

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon! A great place to spend special times together.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Chairs

Great! Thank you for the idea!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Chairs

If you have the option, you could wrap them in saran wrap and check them in as luggage........

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Chairs

"saran wrap and check them in as luggage"...lol

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Chairs

call the ritz and ask their lost and found if they have any extras a lot of times people just leave them in the hotel when they are done with them they might have some extra. or buy the tommy bahama ones at costco if youre a member and then return them when they are done with their satisfaction guarenteed policy. save the receipt and get your money back

Oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Chairs

The buy and return is just plain tacky!! You simply taking advantage a business! Return policy is for items that have problems - If you plan on RENTING do it but do not screw places by buying n returning just because you don't need an item any more!!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Chairs

I agree, BMWlarry!! Nothing but tacky and dishonest too. Either rent, buy at a thrift store, check as luggage and/or pay it forward.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
419 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Chairs

Last time we were in Maui we bought chairs from a woman who lives in Lahaina on the main road by the water about 1/2 mile from where Hard Rock is. She has stuff displayed in her front yard. If you return it at the end of your stay, she gives you 50% back. We got chairs, boogie boards, umbrellas for two weeks and I think we spent $20 or so.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Chairs

Wow what a deal...still love the saran wrap idea.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Chairs

Now that's brilliant, itsig4! The lady with the used goods! I will check that out when we're there in march at honua Kai. I was vacillating between getting a room thru the hotel or an owner /property management co.. Going through owners often have all that stuff for you to use but don't they don't have the house keeping and towel replacements (which I love while on vacation) i went with the hotel and was thinking to buy cheap boogie boards and give them away at the end. Thx for the great tip!