We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Saw this topic on the big island forum and really helps this first time visitor to see a easy list with posters comments all in one place. Please list you top experiences that new visitors should puton their list for things to plan for or avoid. Thanks TA for all the info!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Aloha,

Driving the Road to Hana

Watching sunsets from various beaches/towns

Sunset cruise/sail (Look for dolphins/whales while you're out there.)

Haleakala

Snorkeling

Hiking and seeing waterfalls

Churches

Iao Valley

Makawao

La Perouse Bay

Have a wonderful time on Maui, suzy.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

There are tons of threads that have Top Ten or Top activities or things to do. Just put must do's in the search box above the your post and read away!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

All I can add to the great list jet have you is:

1. Eat fresh fruit everyday! (For me the mangoes are the best, 2nd is the pineapple)

2. Play in the ocean everyday!

Enjoy your trip!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Our "musts" every time we return to Maui:

Warren & Annabelle's in Lahaina

Dinner at Cuatro in Kihei our first night in Maui (25% off entire menu from 4 to 6 p.m.)

"Fast is Fun" sail on the Scotch Mist II

Lunch at Class Act at UH Maui Culinary School

Iao Valley

Lunch or dinner at Castaway Café (on the beach at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas)

Lunch at Mama's Fish House

Pina Colada cake at Tommy Bahama's

Fish Tacos at Coconuts in Kihei

Shopping in Makawao

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Great tips! Have added to my wish list. Understand you can search but its nice to see the current info on one thread.

spokane, wa
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Actually, the search function here leaves a little to be desired. I've tried various combinations and very few are actually lists of people's opinions of 'must-do' activities.

Very frustrating for those of us trying to search.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Hi Smaartin, I agree the search function on here is not the best, but with a little digging you can usually find some pretty good replies with the search function. I always use the "relevance" filter and then just scroll down to find threads that are pretty recent, and scan through the subject lines to see how relevant they are, and also look at how many replies there are (and try to open ones with more than a few replies). For some of these questions, like the top ten must see or dos, they don't change very much from year to year since a lot of them are natural sights/ wonders, or things that you can always do on Maui like go to a luau or go snorkeling, so you are safe with looking at threads a few years old if you are just trying to get a general sense of the top things to do on Maui. It does take a little time to read through and find what you are looking for though.

Also, the www.gohawaii.com web site (and almost any guide book on Maui) will have consolidated lists of the top things to do on Maui. Here's one list:

www.gohawaii.com/maui/guidebook/top-sights

Also, the "things to do" tab at the top of the page in the green bar has reviews (that you can sort by type of activity/ attraction) of all kinds of attractions and activities you can do on Maui:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g29220-Activitie…

Here are a few threads I found with a quick search on must sees/ dos, but there are a ton more threads on this topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k577228…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k668446…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k653378…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k443644…

British Columbia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

First must....

I must not try to do everything.

Followed by....

I must stop and listen to the palm trees rustling in the breeze.

I must sit on the beach and enjoy the "other visitors" to Maui .... (Humpback whales)!

I must smell the fragrance of the air...breathe deeply, feel peace.

I must wander Upcountry....more than once!

I must have fresh fish, fresh fruit, fresh veggies.

I must find a "new" place that I feel is "mine" ... a park, a beach, a restaurant, a view......

I must see the sunset each and every day!

I must wiggle my toes in the sand and chase the receding waves.

I must leave nothing behind but footprints and take only memories.

I must remember that my must list may not be like the list of other folks.....and that is perfectly okay!

Whatever your list of "Must not Miss" looks like, I hope you have a most wonderful vacation on this beautiful island! ....and remember, if you don't get it all done this trip you can always come back!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

I think that would make a wonderful poster Mad4Maui!

"I MUST" remember your list for our next trip to Maui!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are your top 10 must see or do not miss things?

Mad4Maui........really awesome post. I love it!

It is so hard to come up with a must do list for others because it is a constantly evolving and changing list for each vacation and different for each person. I would strongly advise you to spend time on this forum reading posts that interest you and ALL trip reports!!! That will give you a world of information and you will be so far ahead of the game by the time you get to Maui!!

I leave for Maui in nine days with my mom, sis and BIL. Our must do's are to go to the Lavender Farm and roam upcountry, have a west side day hitting the blowhole, Fish Market, Binky's, S-Turns and meander through Lahaina to get Honolulu Cookies, drive to Ke'anae for gorgeous coastal views and banana bread, check out Garden of Eden and the Ke'anae Aboretum, Coconuts, Gannons, Four Sisters Bakery, Stillwells Bakery, Fabiani's, Pa'ia Fish Market and Grandma's for food and goodies, attend an awesome wedding and relax on beaches as much as possible!!! And fit as much other fun stuff in while making sure to keep our island time vibe intact and catch every sunset per VC!!! It sounds like a lot, but it isn't really.

If you hang out on this forum and ask the questions you need answers to and read trip reports, you will come up with your own awesome must do list! I promise......Deb