We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

Hello everyone!

Our family is heading to Maui next week and we're so excited - first time in Hawaii! We're staying in north Kihei and I wanted to ask:

- Where should we go shopping for cheap groceries in this area? (For milk/eggs/diapers...)

- which take out restaurants do you recommend? (Some local and Hawaiian places would be nice)

- which beach do you recommend for young children (1-4years old) so they can see some fish, maybe turtles? I've heard of Baby beach and Napili shores

- would the royal lahaina luau be a good idea for little boys of 4? Or should we simply go to a free hula at the cannery mall?

Many thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

The Kamaole Beaches in Kihei should be fine for your kids. There is a turtle that hangs out at Kamaole Beach lll, near the lava point. Maluaka Beach in Makena is also good. For a beach in west/north Maui, Kapalua Bay can be much calmer than Napili Bay.

There are tons of restaurants in Kihei. Coconuts gets great reviews and I love going out to breakfast at the Kihei Caffee.

There is a Safeway, Foodland and Times Supermarkets all in Kihei.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

I wouldn't bother paying for a luau with little ones. The hula shows at Cannery Mall and Whaler's Village would be fun...you might check what's on at the Shops at Wailea too.

Don't miss the Maui Ocean Center, that is a major hit with kiddlets!

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
357 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

We have 3 boys too & have gone to Maui when they were the ages of yours- they are 5,7 & 9 now, sigh. Goes too fast . Anyway, if you are a Costco member, it is right by the airport. If you go to Napili Bay- which we love- there is a great BBQ restaurant at Napili shores, which is right by the parking to Napili bay. It is called Iron Imu & very kid friendly- they have a kids' room with toys & stuff to play w/ while you wait. Boys can try to "rope" the cow, etc. I tried to quiet down my boys & the owner told me to let them have fun- that's what the room was for. He gave them all sheriff badges, etc. A restaurant w/3 young boys that allows you to relax is a rare gift & I very much appreciated the Iron Imu! Oh, the food is really good too- big portions. There are great little tide pool areas @ Napili bay & we have seen big turtles hanging out by the rocks, too. Have a wonderful trip!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

one thing that works nicely with very young children is a pair of swimming goggles. You can walk in the water and hold their hand and let them get used to putting their head underwater. Quite often then can see reef fish, bits of broken coral and shells. Probably not see any turtles but it is a start.

We did that with both our granddaughters and now at ages 4 and 6 they are accomplished snorkelers from the beach and boat. Gives them some simple experience and builds up their confidence.

Just stay away from the surge very near the rocks and watch for holes that you can in where it can become suddenly deep.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

Thank you very much for all these suggestions! We're so looking forward to this vacation :)

6. Re: Upcoming Maui trip with 3 young boys!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16