We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Maui for the first time in early March for 3 nights & will be staying at the Honua Kai Resort & Spa. I've read a stack of forum comments advising that you can't do much in Maui without a car. As we will be spending most of our holiday in Waikiki, we wanted to just relax in Maui, spend time at the beach, go to nice restaurants & maybe do a tour or two. I believe the airport we're flying into (Kapalua Airport) is not to far from the resort we we're staying at.

Either of us would be happy to drive, though we don't want to get a car if we don't really need one.

Maui Tours and Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Unique Maui Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Roberts Hawaii
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
California
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Most people will agree that a rental car is a good idea. Even going to a beach; I wouldn't want to haul all of my beach stuff (chairs, coolers) on a bus. Say driving from south Maui to a north area beach would make your rental very valuable.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Honua Kai is a lovely resort but you will be "stuck" there without a car. There is Duke's on-site for dining and some fun restaurants within walking distance but nothing terribly "fine" in the immediate area.

You have a very short stay and may be fine just "flying and flopping" many folks do after the buzz of Waikiki.

With only 3 days I would advise 1 tour and, in whale season, you should get out on the water. Maybe a sunset cruise from Kaanapali Beach? Short cab ride from the HK.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

For 2 or 3 days of relaxation, you can easily do that by staying close to Honua Kai. It has beautiful pools & grounds, and the beach out front is nice (you can rent umbrellas and chairs on the beach if you want to, or perhaps your unit will come equipped with some.) You can also stroll for a mile or so down to Black Rock along a beautiful stretch of beach.

Restaurants will be a bit more of a challenge. Dukes (at the resort) would be a good choice one night, but for other restaurants, it's either going to be a 30 minute walk or a taxi ride each way.

You would probably enjoy having a rental car for touring and it would be a much more economical way of doing it.

I would try to determine what you want to see while on Maui. Also, add up the costs of the rental plus parking fees and compare it to what you'll spend for airport shuttles, taxis and a tour. Once you've done this, you'll have a better idea as to whether a rental is worthwhile or not.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Or hop on the bus!!! $2.00 each time you get on, or $4.00 for a day pass. A great deal! The bus will get you to Whaler's Village, three great restaurants there. Or you can transfer there and continue on into Lahaina. Lots of fun to walk around there, and many many more options for eating out.

Welcome to Trip Advisor, and have a fantastic time! Don't forget to pack an empty suitcase with you... it will be full for the trip home ;o)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,041 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Absolutely rent a car.

You mention doing a tour or two.

It will probably cost less to rent a car than to pay for a couple of tours.

That said, noting that you are Aussies, if you do not feel comfortable driving, then forget a car rental & take the tours.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,964 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

This is a tough one. You don't really have much time to see much of Maui anyway ... but with a car, you could see some of the sights. I'd rent the car. AND - you will want to schedule a whale-watch catamaran sail. I recommend Trilogy. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

And why can't you relax on Oahu?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Thanks so much for all the very helpful responses!

I think like SusanM2004 suggested we will just need to decide what we want to do whilst we're in Maui, and make a call from there if getting a car will be the best option for us.

BLBL - We're staying in Oahu for 7 nights, so were keen to travel to another Island for a couple of nights :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

BLBL, because they'll be too busy shopping!!! The prices in Hawaii are so very cheap for Aussies, and us Canadians as well. And on top of that, there are so many things there you can not get "at home" that are readily available in Hawaii. Strange, I know!

One thing to be aware of though... if you go ahead and rent the car, the price of petrol on Maui is way cheaper than anything you pay at home. Of course, that will be offset by the price of car insurance. And I highly recommend you get the car insurance.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,964 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

Still, IMHO - I'd split the nights between Maui and Oahu 50/50. And get a car on Maui. And go to Maui first - so you don't have to lug your shopping finds around so much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Maui for 3 nights - do I need a car???

J0an123 - exactly :) Maui will probably be the only time that I give my wallet a bit of a break!!

BLBL - That probably would have been the better way for us to organise our trip, but because neither of us have been to Hawaii before we thought we would have more things to do in Oahu, so at this stage were doing 5 nights in Waikiki, 3 nights in Maui and then we have another two nights back in Oahu.