We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic hotel on Maui?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic hotel on Maui?

So my wife and I will be visiting for the first time from New York. We don't have kids and prefer a resort that is not too kid friendly. Our budget is 300-500 per night and we will be staying for four nights. Also, I would love to stay in an ocean view or ocean front room, so the four seasons or the ritz are probably out of reach. Our trip is in mid December. Any help is appreciated.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

This always seems appealing:

http://www.hooilohouse.com/

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

Being on the beach is a must. Any thoughts on the Hyatt?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

Hyatt? Meh, unless you're talking about the new Andaz.

Early December is very slow, with low rates right before they leap up over the Christmas holidays. You might be able to get what you want at Four Seasons, Fairmont, Andaz. I wouldn't book in Napili or Kapalua in winter. Consider Marriott Wailea and Makena Beach Resort too. All of Maui's top rated hotels are in Wailea except the Ritz.

Remember to reserve your rental car!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

You will get the best "bang for your buck" at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. The Wailea Marriott is also worth a look as is the Andaz, which is brand new.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a very slow time on Maui. Just checked and all the hotels in Wailea except the 4S would be in you price range. Don't forget there is a 13% tax and many have a resort fee of usually $30 per day.

The newest is the Andaz and the oldest is Wailea Marriott which has had about 5 name changes over the years. Have stayed at all but the Andaz. The Marriott is nice and we like it and it is the cheapest. If you want to go up the GW and the Fairmont Kea Lani. We don't care that much for the GW. It is so big takes forever to get someplace and the rooms are not that big.

The Fairmont is big but manageable. All rooms are suites, with living room and private bedroom and huge tile bath room. There is a refrig and microwave in the room. There is a very nice adult only pool and a very nice beach with chairs and umbrellas. Decent snorkeling. All the hotels are close by and within walking distance for an exercise walk. Might check each hotel web site see the pictures of the resort and rooms and get a price for what you want. You can also go to Google Map and look at the properties

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

Forgot about the Makena Beach resort. This is just my opinion. It is a nice hotel but it is the farthest south of any of the hotels by a long shot. Known locally as "The Last Resort" Great beach very small pool. Have not stayed there so not a fair review other than the location you will have to drive for everything off the hotel if it is not there. Wailea properties have walking distances to shops and restaurants or at worse a 5 mi drive

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

Thnx for the responses guys. After mentioning a few of these to the wife, she seems to have a thing for the andaz. Ocean front is coming out to a little more then $400 per night including all taxes and fees. Not too bad. Just a little concerned about a brand spanking new hotel I guess.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

The brand new, very sterile, hip & modern environment at the Andaz wouldn't be my choice for a romantic vacation, but you may enjoy this type of vibe(?)

You might consider taking a look at Four Seasons Lana'i at Manele Bay. The resort's beautiful, remote setting and ambiance is certainly more in line with what I consider romantic than about any of the popular options on Maui; and the service at the property is also definitely also a notch above what you would experience at the oft more pricey 4S Wailea -- you may find something quite enticing here in your price range, given the indicated shoulder-season timing.

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 31 October 2013, 12:04
Texas
Level Contributor
840 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

How do you define romantic? We have stayed at the Andaz--and in this case, brand new--is a good thing. One thing though (and this may not bother you)--when we were there about a month ago--there is still some construction going on--and I think there will be in a month. The hotel is mostly finished--but they are working on some villas (to sell). The Andaz is on a gorgeous beach. Depending on what romantic is to you--you might really like it!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic hotel on Maui?

The Andaz isn't really a new hotel.

It's an old hotel that was remodeled.