We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling information

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
658 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling information

My friend and I went to 3 islands in April and plan to return. We were both surprised to find out that snorkeling was such an important and fun activity and wished we had been prepared. For our next trip, what are your most practical suggestions for us to learn. I live in a province that does not appear to offer teaching during the winter months but has sports stores where we can buy masks, etc. Should we wait and take a class and rent equipment upon arrival? My friend also has a collapsed lung-he is willing, but hesitant to snorkel, says he chokes when he tries. Is the equipment any different or improved since about 15 years ago-. We are in our 60's but both swimmers and not afraid of the water. I have never snorkeled. Any suggestions or information for us? Thank you in advance.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling information

I would wait and rent equipment when you are on island. You can easily do that from a place such as Snorkel Bob's. You don't want to spend money on something you don't do regularly. There is some good equipment and I suggest you upgrade your rental to better equipment. My biggest suggestion is to practice in a pool with the breathing. The more comfortable you are the better you will do in the ocean. When we taught our kids as well as my mother-in-law, we had them practice in that pool first. It is a more controlled environment and then you can move to the ocean.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling information

To add what travel bug said, also rent from a place as close to where you are staying as possible. If you have any issues you can return it quickly. Many times there will be issues, (fins too big or small, mask leaks, etc), and you don't want to have to go too far to return it, especially if you are at beach and set up for the day.

Alberta
Level Contributor
386 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling information

The snorkel I used 20 years ago didn't have the cap on the top to prevent water from coming in this is really a nice feature and alleviates the fear of accidentally breathing in water. One thing I had to remind myself when I first started was to relax and breath normally. Second was if you panic don't stand up roll on your back and float, standing will hurt the coral. Snorkeling is one of the most relaxing activities I have ever done. Have a great trip.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 15:03
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling information

I am so glad you added this thread, Beachgrass, the tips are super helpful to me as well. Thanks everyone for the awesome info!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
356 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling information

I think it's worth purchasing a mask and snorkel locally so you have one that you are comfortable with and that you know fits you well. Having it also allows you to practice in a swimming pool, which I think it important if you are new to snorkeling and want to make sure you are ready. In addition to practicing breathing, I would say practice rolling on your back to float and also use the pool to figure out how long you are comfortable in the water so you know when it's time to head back when you are in the ocean.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling information

Wear sun-protective clothing when snorkeling.

You are face-down, so the back of your neck, your shoulders, and your legs below your suit get a tremendous amount of sun exposure.

A long-sleeved rash guard and at least shorts are desireable. I prefer a long sleeved, long-legged dive skin so I don't get sunburned calves.

There are few things that will ruin a Hawaii trip more than a sunburn so bad you can't sit down.

Some examples of sun-protective clothing:

www.coolibar.com

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling information

There are a couple of companies on Maui that will teach you to snorkel. Check out Maui Snorkel Tour, you won't be disappointed.

mauisnorkeltours.com/maui-snorkeling-trips.h…

I highly recommend you take this tour, then rent your equipment from Snorkel Bob's.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling information

Know that unless you are in a salt-water pool, you aren't going to float the same. Way easier to float and swim around in the salt-water ocean than in a pool. The pool practice is mostly to get the breathing down.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling information

Thanks PareoB for the link. Love the clothes

Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling information

Remember, you dont have to do a lot of swimming to snorkle and enjoy the underwater world. Hold your noodle across your chest and under your arms, stick your head (and mask) in the water and just float! Remember to look back to the beach so you dont drift too far.