We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Hello, I see frequently on the Hawaiian forums people mentioning they purchase macadamia nuts to bring back as gifts.

In my local Costco they sell 637 gram containers . Harvest Gold Dry Roasted Macadamias for $17.99 (cdn). Can anyone tell me how this compares to prices on Maui? Or a ballpark as to what I might expect to pay on Maui?

Thank-you:)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

What sizes do you need?? My personal preference is to buy them at an ABC Store. I like the cans and smallish bags - and variety of flavors.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

You can get the Mauna Loa ones in the candy section up front and they will most likely be cheaper than most on the islands but here is my little secret, go to the baking section. They usually have the Hamakua brand there in 1.25lb. bags and they are quite a bit cheaper usually. They are salt free so you would need to salt them if that's what you want. But I make my own nut mix at home and use salt free as much as possible for health reasons. Plus their great for baking. They are a bit big if you have plans on gifts for many people the boxes of the smaller packs might be better but for yourself or a special macnut lover friend these are great.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

For souvenir gifts, I've found the prices at Longs to be really good and they often have sales.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

I agree with Grandeau's recommendation too. Long's does have good prices and a good selection.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

I have heard of Harvest Gold colored appliances in the 1970's but where are these nuts from.

Longs is good and sometimes they have the Mauna Loa bits and pieces of nuts. A wonderful gift for anyone who bakes or garnishes with chopped nuts.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Prairie,

Just to answer your question....

They will still be cheaper at your local Costco, but like others have mentioned, when you buy them on Maui they will have the Aloha spirit.

@Jim Gloria: haha, my parents still have the olive green and burnt orange motif going on in their house. Lol

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

the ABC stores and many small stores in Lahaina put mac nuts at their entries as a lure. Even with the best prices though very often the nuts are old and stale, so not worth it. My experience is that COstco has the best prices AND the nuts are never stale. When you land at OGG and pick up your car, your hotel is not ready for you yet, so might as well go over to Costco and burn an hour and stock up on rum and nuts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Preferably more rum then nuts

i thought "Harvest Gold" was a CVS brand name?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Well I was at Costco yesterday waiting for a prescription when I saw this brand.They are distributed by Suncoast Gold Macadamias out of Dallas. They say they are produced and packaged in the U.S.A.

www.suncoastgold.com.au

Thank-you for your suggestions.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Price for Macadamia Nuts in Maui, Costco?

Does Costco carry them in an unsalted variety? Anybody know their current pricing?