We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to pick up fruit?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to pick up fruit?

We were thinking it would be a good idea to pick up some fruit for our stay but we don't need too much. Maybe some apples, plums and oranges etc. we are staying in a hotel and leaving in like 5 days. Any grocery shops? We will be staying in kaanapali, and the airport is the OGG. Thank you!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

There is a safe way in lahaina...you will pass it on the way to Kaanapali . not cheap for those fruits but make sure you sign up for a safeway card (free) so you can rake advantage of any savings.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

Try and shop local, (fruit stands), but just buy on a daily basis, Safeway, Times, and Foodland are out at K-pal.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

There is a farmer's market just north of you in Honokawai...try some local fruit! Apple bananas, starfruit, mangos and pineapple for starters. Remember that fruit that is shipped in will be more expensive than the local grown.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

How expensive is the fruit approximately? Will Costco be better or Safeway?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

Prices will likely be better at Costco, but quantities might be too large. We really liked the apple bananas from Costco and that quantity would be fine for you, but I think the apples came in packages of about 20.

The problem with Costco is that it's huge and if you're looking for several different items, it will take a lot of time to figure out where they are in the store. If you don't need anything else from there, I would stop at a regular grocery store so that you can get in and out quickly. You can get snacks at Costco, but again, in large quantities ... e.g. the bag of nacho chips is large enough to keep a family of 4 snacking for a month.

p.s. forgot to answer your question re how expensive fruit is. I think in the grocery store, apples were going for $2.00+ per pound. The grocery stores all have sales and if you look at their ads on line you can see who has what in the way of sales on fruit.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 01:56
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

You should take mamma's advice and try the local fruits they will be cheaper at a farmers market and because they are grown on island.

Apples,plums,oranges all fruit that is shipped in from thousands of miles away. We love apple bananas so much better than the regular kind IMO. papayas, pineapple there are even local strawberries.

Another thing the prices for fruits and vegetables in the grocery stores are crazy expensive thats whey we rec. farmers markets

Edited: 02 November 2013, 02:02
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

Agree with the suggestion to go to the Farmer's Market store in Honokowai (it's open daily, and on M/W/F mornings there will be stalls out front until 11 a.m. with local vendors selling their produce) - or stop at a roadside market. mauitime.com/Listing-28347.112113-31343.1121…

For grocery stores - here are links to this week's ads for produce for Times in Honokowai and Safeway in Lahaina:

…mywebgrocer.com/CircularItemList.aspx…

…safeway.com/customer_Frame.jsp…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

SPAM!!! Limit of 4 cans! Love seeing that in the flyer!

Apples are 99 cents a pound this week at Safeway. Good price!

We pretty much buy what is on sale while on Maui. Actually, we use the same rules at home. If if isn't on sale, we don't eat it. But I spend a lot of time going around to the different grocers to get the sale items. Our city is small enough, that I can do that, and I have the time as well. That is not the case for everyone.

Shopping on Maui is fun though. I enjoy shopping there, even at Foodland and Safeway, as they have "stuff" we don't get at home. Including Maui onions!!! You won't have a barbecue to throw some on at the KBH, but do try one raw. Yummy! Make sure you try some Maui onion chips too. You can even buy Maui onion and garlic Macadamia nuts! Soooo good!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

If you are driving the abroad to Hana, you will have plenty of opportunity to buy fruit from honor stands all along the way. The prices are ideal and the quality of fruit is excellent. Deb

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to pick up fruit?

Safeway fruit isn't good. I don't know if they freeze it on the way here or what. Plums are hard or black inside,

The fruits and veggies are better at Times.

Maui Onions are expensive but very good and worth buying. Longs Drug store has better fruit and veggie prices but it is limited. We got corn from there that was the best.

Over by the airport Cash and Carry may suit you better than the large amounts at Costco.