We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To beach or not to beach

Evanston, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
To beach or not to beach

We're traveling to Maui in January, first visit, probably last family trip in foreseeable future. Mom, dad and 4 young adults 19-22. Booked flights before we realized high price of lodging for 6 people. Have located nice looking townhouse in 120 complex near Kilei, has 3 bed, 2.5 ba, pool, $750 plus tax and cleaning fee. 15 min. walk from the beach. Don't feel that we have a lot of options now because so much is already booked. Wondering if we should keep looking for a beachfront place-know we would all like to hang around watching for whales, but at what cost. We've been advised to stay in the south Maui region because of the gentler waters in Jan. Many thanks for any advice.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To beach or not to beach

Give us a per night budget you are comfortable with. And yes, you are right, it is late to be looking, especially with 6 people. Given the age of the young adults, you may be able to find TWO condos in the same complex. Would you be comfortable with that arrangement? Some condos have a minimum number of nights though, especially during high season.

The price you quoted for a 3 bedroom is great though, even if it is a 15 minute walk to the beach.

Have you looked at vrbo?

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

Edited: 02 November 2013, 04:37
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To beach or not to beach

Broaden your horizons and take a look at west Maui too! There is an on going myth that all waters on the west-side are unusable in winter months!

Not true! We travel every year in Jan., Feb, or March and stay on the west side, my tribe is in the water most every day!

You do have a very low budget but give it a whirl at www.chasenrainbows.com

Also please check that the rental you have booked is legal, you may well have booked a unit in a residential area which A: may not be legal and B: the residents may be less than welcoming to weekly renters!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To beach or not to beach

What is the name and address of the townhouse you rented.

Evanston, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To beach or not to beach

I should clarify, $750 per night plus tax and the cleaning fee

Evanston, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To beach or not to beach

is there a way to message you privately

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To beach or not to beach

$750 per night, with a 15min walk to the beach sounds over-priced. I'd look elsewhere.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To beach or not to beach

OUCH!!! Okay, not such a good deal after all!

To send anyone a private message, just click on their name under the avatar. Then you will see that person's TA page and down the left side, there is a place to click on "send message". Then you can type in a subject line and write your message.

And at this late date, I agree with mamma. Check out west Maui too. Good luck with your search!

Fort Saint John...
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To beach or not to beach

Definitely not a good deal! We booked an ocean front penthouse in Kahana that sleeps 8 very comfortably, for $350,00 a night!!! Check VRBO. It's pretty close to your travel dates but you may get lucky and find something. Good luck!!!

I should also add that we stayed in Kahana this past January and the water was amazing our entire stay. I didn't find it rough at all.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 10:50
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To beach or not to beach

Agreed! Keep looking. From Honokowai to Kahana there are a lot of ocean front places. Some you still may have to walk a ways or drive to the beach but you would have the ocean front lanais. Mamma is right. Many people including me enjoy the west side water during winter... It is the north/northwest that can get rougher. The west is perfectly fine unless there is a strange wrap around swell but even the south can get those.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To beach or not to beach

It is close but I really think you can find something cheaper than that.

Look on VRBO and this site,

www.westmauicondos.com