We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in November

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in November

Hi, we are arriving in Maui in 2 days from Australia. We are staying at Fairmont Kea Lani and after some advice on snorkelling for this time of year. Would prefer off the beach rather than off a boat as my 10 year old son gets sea sick. We have a car so able to get around.Thank You in advance

Texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in November

You will be able to snorkel at the beach in front of your hotel. There are a string of beaches you will be less than 15 minutes from that have great snorkeling. Our fav beach on that part of the island is "The Dump" in Ahihi Kinau. To get there you will need to go just about as far south as the road will go. There's a parking lot with porta potties--and a yellow gate. You will need to walk a block or so down a lava field--and there it will be! Enjoy!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in November

Yes. As betty said there is great snorkeling from shore on Maui. It's probably my favorite thing about the island and why I keep coming back.

Lots of great places and in November you can find good conditions South and West. We used to go thanksgiving week.

The dumps is a beautiful reef, but it's a place I would recommend only for an experienced snorkeler because of tricky entry, also no sandy beach here.

Maybe my favorite place all-around in South Maui is Maluaka beach - right in front of the Makena Beach and Golf resort. Park on the south side of the resort and snorkel the left side. One of the nicest coral reefs on Maui, easy access, and lovely sandy beach for swimming or relaxing.

Ulua beach is another you might like, and while not my favorites, the Kamaole beaches have some snorkeling off the rocky points and lifeguards too.

If you took a day trip up the the west side, Kapalua Bay, Airport beach, among others are good.

Have a great time I hope you'll let us know how it goes :)

Dave

bg washington
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in November

Not sure why some people talk about difficult entry at "The Dumps". We've been there many times and there is a nice sand entry. This is our favorite place also, but it can get windy and cool if the sun is not shining. Go early in the morning for less wind.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in November

because it is a very small spot of sand with rock and very shallow water immediately after. It's a place very near to the areas of the reserve that have been closed due to overuse and a place that needs to be enjoyed and preserved. In September when I was there, there were volunteers there keeping an eye on the area which I was pleased to see.

The OP said she was interested in places her 10 year old could enjoy.

Dave

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in November

I snorkeled Kapalua Bay yesterday with my 6 year old granddaughter. We are staying at Polo Beach condo right next to the Kea Lani. The south shore snorkeling has been poor all week because of a south swell that produces higher surf and churns up the sand. I was scuba diving on Wed and we didn't even try the south coast.

But Kapalua was great. Calm and clear. I like it in that you can snorkel in shallow water right over the reef.

We saw 3 turtles and if I stood up on the reef I would have been in waist deep water. We also saw an octopus, eels and just about every reef fish imaginable. My granddaughter is a very good snorkeler and she had a great time. We also did a boat snorkel and it was good but in 3.5 hours on the boat we snorkeled an hour. Yesterday we snorkeled 5 hours and oh yes it was free.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in November

Depending on surf I would recommend staying in south Maui!! At the Fairmont would be good as would Ulua Beach which is beside the Wailea Marriott or Maluaka Beach in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort.

Moanakala (aka the dumps) is NOT recommend for newbies. Most of the beach is rock. Not only can the entry be tricky, most of it is wide open ocean and doesn't offer the protection other crescent shaped beaches would.

Currents can also pose a problem if you aren't aware of them.

If surf is high, drive to Kapalua, it's great for kids.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in November

Actually found by calling Snorkel Bob's snorkel renting shop, I got reliable daily info from them on the conditions for that day. You can call the one in Kihei for south Maui and Napili for west Maui. Of course conditions change even during the day

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling in November

I generally stay in Kaanapali and the snorkeling in front of the Sheraton at Black Rock is amazing. Every time I see huge see turtles. It is easy entry. There can be a fair amount of people there but it never seems overly crowded. Early in the morning is always good.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,550 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling in November

Just be aware that rip currents are known to be somewhat common near the Kea Lani. My brother in law got caught in one while snorkeling there. Even though he's a good swimmer and in good shape it was frightening.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling in November

Thank you everyone, very helpful